Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Curious

1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    That's the sling I was thinking of. Thank you.
    No problem. They've been redone now so the fakes are showing up everywhere.

I know exactly where that is, as it's visible from the interstate on my way to Janesville. Never made the connection between canned chili and JP Lee!
    That'd be it. When Lee was there he ordered, not being terribly familiar with guns, considerably too much powder. No way to easily move it to Milwaukee so he left it behind when he moved. Hormel located there as the available powder is what gives the chili its' zing.

The guns made in Milwaukee are highly sought after here. These:

Lee Arms Milwaukee

They do show up here so I suspect they were peddled out of Milwaukee after the war.

I thought the wives tale trick to making a mean junkyard dog was putting gunpowder in his food, and I've heard Hormel being called dog food so.... Let's not go there

Interesting arm. Don't recall ever seeing one on the loose. If I did I likely didn't recognize it for what it was.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

Got the collecting bug many years ago. 1944 BSA WM20, and a Cushman airborne,
    Cartridge belts in 577-450 and .303
    lots of grenades
    2 inch mortar
    Vickers
    Bren
    Sten
    Webleys
    and LOTS of SMLE'S and No4's
    Don't need anymore

One final bit, got the uniform of the general who was in command of the evacuation of the troops at Dunkirk. His wife had thrown it in the rubbish tip to be burned and a friend rescued it.
    Last edited by John Sukey; 10-06-2016 at 04:19.

Quote Originally Posted by John Sukey View Post
    One final bit, got the uniform of the general who was in command of the evacuation of the troops at Dunkirk. His wife had thrown it in the rubbish tip to be burned and a friend rescued it.
    I got hold of a 1918 dated Prussian shako the same way. My father visited the widow of an old friend and saw her tossing it in the trash. Asked what she was doing she told him she was finally cleaning out all her late husbands old junk. He snagged it telling her I collected that kind of junk and asked where the rest of it was. Went out in the trash the week before. arrggg!

I still have that shako in the cabinet on display with a Prussian 98/05 bayonet crossing the helmet stand.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

One more question. Anybody else have the bayonet for a 455 Webley?
    Or for that matter, the shoulder stock holster for their HiPower?

OK, since we are talking bayonets, anyone else have a Webley bayonet? (for the revolver)