Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Curious

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Did any U.S. troops in the ETO receive SMLEs for anything?
    For logistical reasons during the USA's early involvement during WW1. Didn't last long.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JB White View Post
    For logistical reasons during the USA's early involvement during WW1. Didn't last long.
    Thanks. Second question: oiler and thong. Is there a tool for the WW2 SMLE and, if so, what does it look like?

Quote Originally Posted by 5MadFarmers View Post
    Thanks. Second question: oiler and thong. Is there a tool for the WW2 SMLE and, if so, what does it look like?
    Naturally there were entire tool kits including jigs and gauges for issue to armorers. Tommy Adkins was not to be trusted to adjust his rifle even for sighting.
    For maintenance on the individual level, a brass oiler with a spoon in the cap (plastic was intermixed by WW2) and a pullthrough was issued with the rifle. Flanellete patches were cut and distributed. The pullthrough had two loops. The second was for drying and the first was to hook and extract a broken pull. Again, a job for the unit armorer.
    Cleaning was done with a special funnel issued at the squad level. Boiling water was poured into the open actions. Allowed to flash dry. Then the individual would insure dry with a patch, followed by an oily patch. Oil with the spoon was applied to designated friction points.

So, if your question was "What tools was Tommy Adkins issued?", the answer is for the most part "none".

HTH?

"...We made Savages for them..." Savage made No. 4 rifles under contract. Savage did not make SMLE's. An SMLE is a No. 1 Mk whatever only. A No. 4 is not an SMLE.
    "...any U.S. troops..." Not likely. The Brits barely had enough kit for themselves. Canada provided most of the kit issued to Brit troopies. We were making it anyway and nobody was dropping exploding things on us.
    "...the bayonet..." Need an M-14 bayonet. Wouldn't pay the money they wanted years ago when I bought the Winchester.
    Spelling and grammar count!

5. Default

Naturally there were entire tool kits including jigs and gauges for issue to armorers. Tommy Adkins was not to be trusted to adjust his rifle even for sighting.
    For maintenance on the individual level, a brass oiler with a spoon in the cap (plastic was intermixed by WW2) and a pullthrough was issued with the rifle. Flanellete patches were cut and distributed. The pullthrough had two loops. The second was for drying and the first was to hook and extract a broken pull. Again, a job for the unit armorer.
    Cleaning was done with a special funnel issued at the squad level. Boiling water was poured into the open actions. Allowed to flash dry. Then the individual would insure dry with a patch, followed by an oily patch. Oil with the spoon was applied to designated friction points.

So, if your question was "What tools was Tommy Adkins issued?", the answer is for the most part "none".

HTH?
    So oiler and thong then. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...We made Savages for them..." Savage made No. 4 rifles under contract. Savage did not make SMLE's. An SMLE is a No. 1 Mk whatever only. A No. 4 is not an SMLE.
    Don't see where my claimed they were SMLEs....

Need an M-14 bayonet. Wouldn't pay the money they wanted years ago when I bought the Winchester.
    There is no such thing as an M-14 bayonet as there is no such thing as an M-14.

Model of 1903 is M-1903. M-1911 is Model of 1911. When the Ordnance Department switched to model numbers, instead of year, the "dash" isn't used as it's not a year designator. Thus there is the M1 and M14 rifles and appropriate bayonets for them. Whereas the O.D. made the switch in the 1920s the Q.M. didn't. Thus the M14 rifle was typically issued with the M-1956 field gear.

The U.S. didn't make rifles in 14 AD.

Yes, I'm chuckling. You should be too.

I suspect, but do not know, that the pre-1905 manufactured Mills thing was used by Canadian troops. I know it's pre-1905 and the only record I have for what became Mills gear was used by Canadians.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 09-13-2016 at 01:43.

I have bayonets for all of my milsurps except my M1 Carbine. all of them have slings on them. All have the appropriate cleaning/maintenance kits. I have cartridge belts or ammo carriers for all my USGI weapons. I also have some period appropriate helmets. Yep. I like militaria; our son likes it more, the only thing he lacks to gear up and hit the beach at Normandy is the shirt, trousers, belt and shoes. Rifle, cartridge belt, musette bag, helmet, bayonet, canteen, first aid kit...he's got all that stuff. Well I guess he could use an E=Tool too.
    Last edited by Art; 09-13-2016 at 01:44.

I suspect, but do not know, that the pre-1905 manufactured Mills thing was used by Canadian troops. I know it's pre-1905 and the only record I have for what became Mills gear was used by Canadians.
    Wasn't there a Mills web sling trialed for the US trapdoor?

8. Default

Wasn't there a Mills web sling trialed for the US trapdoor?
    Yes but not really gun specific. Just after the turn of the century.

Not terribly different from the Brit one.

A Savage gun at the same time.

I wouldn't assume that sling is on that gun as that was a decade ago.

I'll bore you with the history of the Enfield. At that time I was just looking at gun technology. Lee is of local interest as he made his first gun in a place just south of where I live. Then, due to whatever, he moved an hour east and tried to succeed there. That meeting with lukewarm success he headed for the gun making region out east. The guns made here are of local interest and pop up from time to time. So, to people here anyway, Lees have an extra interest.

The place where he made his first gun is probably better known as the main plant for Hormel Chili.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 09-13-2016 at 08:03.

I have bayonets, slings, Oilers, pull cords for all my Lee Enfields (WW1 and 2 rifles to include cruciform for early No 4 mark 1). I need a sling for the M1917 and M95 Swede. I need a Bayonet for the 30 carbine I just got. I have a few helmets and odds and ends but don't go actively looking for them. My M1 Garand bayonets are all cut downs. I had some uncut versions but another collector waived too much cash so they went....moment of weakness.

Yes but not really gun specific. Just after the turn of the century.
    That's the sling I was thinking of. Thank you.

The place where he made his first gun is probably better known as the main plant for Hormel Chili.
    I know exactly where that is, as it's visible from the interstate on my way to Janesville. Never made the connection between canned chili and JP Lee!