Default Another James D. Julia Auction

For those interested in collecting rifles that have roots in military sniping dating from the WWI era, or those who are advanced Winchester or Springfield 1903 collectors...here is a link to just such an ultra-rare rifle that left its mark in history:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/3076-394/

I also like the sniper rifle at Lot 3074:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/3074-394/

James

2. Default

James, is only the Winchester rifle from your collection, or also the M1C rifle?

Quote Originally Posted by Promo View Post
    James, is only the Winchester rifle from your collection, or also the M1C rifle?
    Promo, yes, only the Winchester is from my collection. The M1C is just another one that caught my fancy like it does with so many of us here.

Thanks for the question.

James

4. Default

James, I wish you best luck in selling this marvellous piece!

Many thanks for the kind words, Promo. I hope it sells and finds a really good home and good keeper as it is, indeed, a very special rifle in so many historical respects.

The last one of these that I recall seeing was also sold through a Julia auction in 2010. The bluing and overall condition of the metal of the one from my collection appears to be a bit better, plus it has checkering on the grip and forend and not just on the grip. This last feature and, perhaps, the extra heavy barrel set it aside from the other known examples, all of such examples to my knowledge, vary one way or another. The one that sold in in 2010 looks to be missing the upper sling swivel, but is the only other one that is known to me to have the exact same style cheek rest. It might also represent the 5th known example of a Type No. 2 according to Brophy, provided that he was not aware of it at the time he wrote the letter that accompanies the current auction. Here is a link to the 2010 Julia auction if you have not seen it before:

http://jamesdjulia.com/item/lot-1032...r-rifle-39207/

Thanks, again, for the comments.

6. Default

The problem I see is that a few years ago people were willing to spend much more on those rifles, than they seem to do nowadays. I remember M1903 Rod Bayonet rifles to frequently sell for $50,000+, the same applies for Pedersen Devices. The just a few days ago happened Rock Island Auction sold both of these items for around $35,000. But I wish you best luck in that this won't apply to your rifle, and that it will sell in the estimated area! Does James D. Julia place a minimum bid on this item, which is coordinated with you?

Odd, I have a trapdoor Springfield with the same type of bayonet.

James, I wish you best luck in selling this marvellous piece!
    Promo,

Sorry that I did not get back to you earlier, however, this was my first attempt to use an auction house and the contract noted that reserve type information was confidential. That said, unfortunately, the rifle did not meet the reserve price so it is being returned to me. Should you ever come across a person that desires such a piece, please send them my way!

James

9. Default

Hey James,
    if you don't remember, I'm also the one who got the Winchester stuff (scope and mounts) from you! I know your rifle since you already back then told me about it. It's hard for me to tell a real price on this piece. It's definately rare, but on the other hand something for the very advanced collector. Being more a hybrid (not really a Springfield Armory M1903, but also not really being a Winchester rifle), it also doesn't fit that well into a certain collection.
    Coming across such a rifle on a gunshow, I would not be willing to pay a five digits sum for it. But again, that is just something I feel and the other auction is proof that I am wrong. I don't know how much you have had in it, but did you try it to let it run at gunbroker in an auction and see how far it gets?

Hey James,
    if you don't remember, I'm also the one who got the Winchester stuff (scope and mounts) from you! I know your rifle since you already back then told me about it. It's hard for me to tell a real price on this piece. It's definately rare, but on the other hand something for the very advanced collector. Being more a hybrid (not really a Springfield Armory M1903, but also not really being a Winchester rifle), it also doesn't fit that well into a certain collection.
    Coming across such a rifle on a gunshow, I would not be willing to pay a five digits sum for it. But again, that is just something I feel and the other auction is proof that I am wrong. I don't know how much you have had in it, but did you try it to let it run at gunbroker in an auction and see how far it gets?
    What a big surprise! I hope you and your family are all doing well! Thanks for replying to my post old friend!

You are right on all thoughts and points as I see it too.

I have sent you an email.

James