Aligater Guest

Default CF Colt 1911 U.S. Army Colt Serial 688XX ??

I just inherited a CF Colt 1911 U.S. Army Colt Serial 688XX....the other side of the slide is marked:
    Colts PT. F.A. Mfg CO.
    Patented April 20 1897 September 9 1902
    December 19 1905. February 14 1911 Aug 19 1913
    United States Property A A the little horse on the back of the slide.

blackish-blue finish is near 100%, and it looks like all the parts are original to this gun....whatever it is. I've never seen a 1911 just like it.

Can anyone tell me more about it.....thanks,

Blog Entries

Black army from 1919. If it's the original finish, it's worth some bucks!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Aligater View Post
    I just inherited a CF Colt 1911 U.S. Army Colt Serial 688XX....the other side of the slide is marked:
    Colts PT. F.A. Mfg CO.
    Patented April 20 1897 September 9 1902
    December 19 1905. February 14 1911 Aug 19 1913
    United States Property A A the little horse on the back of the slide.

blackish-blue finish is near 100%, and it looks like all the parts are original to this gun....whatever it is. I've never seen a 1911 just like it.

Can anyone tell me more about it.....thanks,
    Aligater,

Not sure what you have from your description!? Without good clear pictures, it would be difficult to give you accurate info!

If the serial number is in fact in the No 68800 range, then it is an early 1914 M1911.

Best Regards,

P.S. Reminds me of a phrase used on other forums "your question is like trying to get a hair-cut over the phone".
    Last edited by stan4; 09-11-2016 at 09:24.

4. Default

The A A is the mark for Augusta Arsenal which means the gun has been through a rework (many have) and the finish is not original. However, arsenal reworks have become collectible on their own merits, although the value is much reduced from one that is original.