Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
  1. Default

Quote Originally Posted by danco101 View Post
    These are by far the worst m1 carbines ever made!
    I have a carbine and my brother has an enforcer pistol for a long time now and they both fire and function just fine. so if you can buy one cheap enough they can be great shooters.

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    I have a carbine and my brother has an enforcer pistol for a long time now and they both fire and function just fine. so if you can buy one cheap enough they can be great shooters.
    The price you pay does not relate to the safety of the gun. As it has been said before "sometimes they shoot just fine until they don't". The 2 spring models should be avoided. Shoot at your own risk.

If you use them as a shooter then just remember that once they break and they will, that your out of luck as to finding any parts for them. The vast majority of them will not take any USGI parts. If the trigger housing which is alloy wears where the pins are then it will cause malfunctions. You will have to try and find a replacement Universal made housing as they are the only ones that fit. Same thing with a stock and of course the redesigned slide which is the part most often broken. A good welder can sometimes repair one but that is 50/50 at best. There have been no Universal parts available for well over 30 years and there are less and less available each day.

Hard to find replacement eyes too.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    If you use them as a shooter then just remember that once they break and they will, that your out of luck as to finding any parts for them. The vast majority of them will not take any USGI parts. If the trigger housing which is alloy wears where the pins are then it will cause malfunctions. You will have to try and find a replacement Universal made housing as they are the only ones that fit. Same thing with a stock and of course the redesigned slide which is the part most often broken. A good welder can sometimes repair one but that is 50/50 at best. There have been no Universal parts available for well over 30 years and there are less and less available each day.

I see parts for sale from time to time at shows and these guys still stock a bunch. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...460.htm?page=1

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    Hard to find replacement eyes too.

true

As said in my earlier post, bolts coming back into the shooters faces, and the resulting law suits put them out of business, or caused them to sell off. I don't care what condition a 2 spring Universal is in, I'm not holding it up to my face. It may not fail the next shot or in the next hundred, but one thing to be sure of is when it does, someone is going to get hurt very badly. Remove the firing pin, turn into a wall hanger, or better yet, destroy it so no one else can make that mistake. Think of it as a unexploded grenade, leaving it armed is eventually going to cause a problem. If a person wants a working carbine, I'd buy a US GI and spend thousands more on it than taking the chance firing a 2 spring Universal.
    Chris
    Last edited by Chris W.; 11-11-2016 at 04:43.

Quote Originally Posted by free1954 View Post
    I see parts for sale from time to time at shows and these guys still stock a bunch. http://www.gunpartscorp.com/Manufact...460.htm?page=1
    The vast majority of the parts are out of stock. No major parts are available. Quite a few of the remaining parts were for the 256 Ferret and 9mm versions of the carbine that sold like our current President knew what he was doing these past 8 years. The parts in shows are coming from carbines that were not repairable and have been broken down to sell anything still working for inflated prices. That is the only source of parts left.