Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Aligater Guest

Default The New Orion Spring is very strong........

I've had this M1 a long time. It's a 1954 Springfield. I decided for whatever reason to put in a new op rod spring. So, I bought an Orion because they have a great reputation.....OMG, that spring is strong. I cannot push down the follower with an eight round clip with one thumb. So, I used both thumbs and did not hold back the op rod handle with my palm.......when it clicks the bolt just comes forward and rests on the top round (you have to give a little tap for it to go into the chamber. Okay, but am I in danger of getting a double M1 thumb?.....I guess it's fair to add that when I was in the Army and 18 years old, I had no trouble....but now I'm 83 and my hands are not strong. any suggestions?

With a weak spring, the bolt slams into the back of the receiver. Orion's springs are what a spring should be when new. Springs do wear out and should be replaced often on shooters. Jim

Blog Entries

You cannot get M1 thumb loading the rifle.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Grease the first half of the spring that goes down the tube. I've also used Orion springs, they'll wear in.
    "No man's life, liberty, or property is safe, while Congress is in session." Mark Twain

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    +1

A new spring should not make your rifle that difficult to load. Check inside the op rod tube for any obstructions. It is not uncommon to find sections of broken springs in there. That would make it difficult, and in some cases impossible, to load.

Aligater Guest

Why not? When the follower is depressed even a little the bolt comes forward....round and thumb can go forward.............
    Last edited by Aligater; 09-09-2016 at 08:54. Reason: put in a quote..

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Aligater View Post

Why not? When the follower is depressed even a little the bolt comes forward....round and thumb can go forward.............
    You are in error. Let's examine the three possibilities.

1. Full clip. Top cartridge pushes your thumb away. It will not move when thumb pressure is applied.

2. Partial clip. Bolt will not move until pressure is applied to the op rod rearward. Same result as above, cartridge and thumb cannot occupy the same space.

3. Mucking around with an unloaded rifle. You get what you get.

John C Garand did not design a combat arm that would smash a thumb by loading it.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 09-09-2016 at 09:25.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

No problem with my Orion spring. I've only had one "M1 finger" when I depressed the follower while cleaning. OUCH!

Quote Originally Posted by Aligater View Post

With an empty M1 rifle, if you push the follower down with a stick, the op rod will not release until it almost bottoms out. But, if you put any rearward pressure on the op rod handle while doing that, the op rod will release when the follower is even slightly down. That is why using the blade of the hand against the op rod handle is not proper when loading a full clip. If any pressure is applied against the handle, the op rod will release and the bolt will slam against the back of the clip. The bolt face will drag against the back of the clip and make you think that the rifle is difficult to load.

However, when closing the bolt of an empty M1 rifle, using the blade of the hand to apply rearward pressure against the op rod handle, is very proper and will prevent the bolt from smashing a thumb. ( M1 Thumb )

John C Garand did not design a combat arm that would smash a thumb by loading it.
    That is so true.

A totally false accusation that refuses to die.
    It is amazing that so many people still cite 'the possibility of thumb injury while loading' as a "design defect" of the M1.
    Last edited by Rock; 09-10-2016 at 08:16.