Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

There is no match in my SRS books or in Bruce Canfield's but this doesn't rule anything out. The SRS records do not include DCM sales rifles. It is what it is. A beautiful Type 2 NM rifle in 1960 configuration. I would not give a second thought to buying a rifle like that, without documentation, as long as the price was right.

2. Default

I would like to thank you, Dave and the other forum members for all the help you provided in identifying it.
    I hope to recheck the DCM records in 6 months or so, hoping they will be complete by then.
    I am very happy with my purchase. The price was right.:-)

Blog Entries

I can confirm what 2111 and JohnnyP have said about my experience with M1 NM Rifle #6095050. I selected that high serial number as some NM rifles were being assembled on used receivers and the supply of new M1 receivers was depleted. I wanted one that was all new. The rifle came with standard sights, which I sill have, but the army armorers replaced them with NM sights for me. Such service was available to competitors from the army in those years. I suppose I need to document all this and include the info in the butt as the person who buys the rifle from my estate sale might be confused about the provenance and originality of the rifle.

Herschel, That provenance will sure mean a lot to a future collector. Thanks again for the help you gave me in regards to my 1957 match. Joe

Blog Entries

Since I only had the receipt for payment for Springfield Armory M1 NM rifle number 6095050, I requested a letter from the CMP showing the rifle had been sold to me.
    This was in 1999 and they were able to provide me a letter certifying the rifle was a NM and had been sold to me. I don 't know if they will provide that service now.

They still provide that service but only have SOME of the old DCM sales records. As I understand it, rifles such as yours, that were purchased at Perry, a "Cash Sales" receipt was given the buyer. That would be all you would get BUT the record of the sale was forwarded to the Army Director of Civilian Marksmanship (DCM). These sales were then, along with the mail order sales, transcribed onto cards and held at Rock Island Arsenal. It is these cards that CMP was able to obtain. CMP did not get all the cards but they do have a lot. You were lucky, as they had a record of the Perry sale to you. I was not that lucky and only have the "Cash Sales" receipt. As I said, CMP still will do a search of serial number but it now costs $ 25.00. Well worth the cost if you get a hit. My rifle, purchased at the1957 National Matches, is # 6097560 with an 8 of 56 barrel.
    Last edited by 2111; 09-15-2016 at 05:03.

7. Default

Just to clarify:
    So CMP has all of the DCM cards, but some have not been catalogued yet, OR they have only some of the cards? If so - who has the rest of the DCM sales cards?

As Joe said, I believe they have some of the cards. Like most old military files they were either boxed up and sent to a records holding facility in compliance with the records management system of the day or were simply discarded when someone thought they were no longer needed or required. I also heard that the cards were sometimes completed by temp summer hires, etc., and recording and transferring information was not well kept or complete. Don't quote me on that as I was either told or read that somewhere. However, I could be confusing that with something else. That said CMP was able to confirm my 1955 match rifle. I already had the data card info from RIA but wanted double confirmation since it predates Canfields observations.