Thread: Type 2 NM Garand questions

Hybrid View

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Don't know if Herschel reads the M1 Rifle threads, but I believe Herschel has a Type I NM that he had upgraded while at Perry.
    He use to. I have a Type 1 purchased following the 1957 National Matches by an Army M/Sgt that had competed in the 1957 match's using that rifle. I had a copy of the "Cash Sales" slip documenting the Camp Perry sale. I had communicated with Herschel regarding the rifle he purchased at Perry following the 1958 Matches. Herschel told me that he too had the same "Cash Sales" slip. As to updating his rifle Herschel told me he had paid an Army armorer $ 40.00 to have it glass Bedded.
    My rifle, being a late 1956 or early 1957 build, was "service rifle as issued". The only NM marked part would be the barrel. My rifle was upgraded with a NM marked front sight and a NM marked rear sight aperture.
    According to the OP the only NM marked part on his rifle, other than the barrel, is the front sight. If that stock is original to the rifle, it was built as a Type 2 and, if anything, as far as parts, it was downgraded, not upgraded.
    Last edited by 2111; 09-05-2016 at 06:39.

Quote Originally Posted by 2111 View Post

According to the OP the only NM marked part on his rifle, other than the barrel, is the front sight. If that stock is original to the rifle, it was built as a Type 2 and, if anything, as far as parts, it was downgraded, not upgraded.
    At the time they had no collector value, and I am sure that Herschel felt that his rifle was upgraded as a target rifle with the bedding.

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    At the time they had no collector value, and I am sure that Herschel felt that his rifle was upgraded as a target rifle with the bedding.
    That's for sure. Hershel said " "Being a shooter I wanted the best rifle for shooting so I paid an Army armorer $ 40.00 to glass bed it in about 1961 or 1962. Little did I know that the $ 40.00 glass bedding job would cut the value of the rifle in later years." But I am sure that, to him, that does not really matter as he enjoyed that rifle and used it for it's intended purpose. I would guess a lot of us that are in our mid to late 70's or more have "upgraded" a few military rifles to our liking. I remember a Smith Corona 03-A3 I bought in a NYC sporting goods store for $ 45.00. It was a mint rifle and shortly after I got it home I drilled it for a Lyman rear sight, added a Lyman front sight with hooded aperture and a Timmey Target trigger. I put a lot of rounds down range with that rifle and never regretted my "upgrading" it. Oh well, guess I am getting off the subject.
    Like you said, these rifles were not "collectables".

4. Default

Hi 2111
    I did the same thing only mine was an SC bought through the DCM. for $14,50. I shot it many times up to and including 1000 yards. No one in those days ever thought that the 03A3 would ever become a collector's item.