Default 1868 Trapdoor ID?

Pictures of this rifle were posted on another forum. I'll post a few here for your thoughts.

Is it an 1868, made in 1869 with a replaced lock?

Thanks,
    Cass

Here are a few more pictures.

Cass

Bingo!

Could be the stock is from a .45-70 also - either that or someone did a very nice job of removing the lock flats. Cleaning rod (which has no shoulder) is incorrect as well - which could be the result of not being able to mate the single-shoulder rod to a double-shoulder keeper. Could be a great shooter, but collector value is severely compromised - it is very fixable but it might not be financially viable to do so.

I agree with Dick. It also has a replacement 45-70 lock plate. Cleaning rod looks like a musket rod.
    Last edited by Tkacook; 09-03-2016 at 09:50. Reason: Can't type!
    Never Give Up, Never Surrender!

Dick:

Thank you, I missed the stock and cleaning rod. I got your book out tonight and see what you mean on those.

I'll have to find a nice example some time.

Thanks,
    Cass

6. Default

Beautiful!
    Shoot it!

The hammer is also from an 1873 as are the bands (possibly). It might be easier, though maybe not cheaper, to return it to 1873 configuration and look for an early cleaning rod to match the early, dated, lock plate. There are a lot more 1873 parts available than 1868, but the early '73 action and barrel could present a problem.. If it were mine, I'd be on the lookout for parts to make two separate rifles before making a final decision.
    Last edited by 70ish; 09-23-2016 at 03:13. Reason: spelling

Quote Originally Posted by 70ish View Post
    The hammer is also from an 1873 as are the bands (possibly). It might me easier, though maybe not cheaper, to return it to 1873 configuration and look for an early cleaning rod to match the early, dated, lock plate. There are a lot more 1873 parts available than 1868, but the early '73 action and barrel could present a problem.. If it were mine, I'd be on the lookout for parts to make two separate rifles before making a final decision.
    All good points - what you need to do is find its' "opposite" (or as near as possible) and have a grand swaperoo! Might take awhile, but, also being wrong, it shouldn't be expensive.

That IS a nice looking early 1873 stock.