Default Gouged buttstock

I recently picked up this M1886 Rifle. It is in nice shape and should make a good shooter.
    However there is this big honking gouge in the middle the right side of the buttstock.
    I'm guessing there was some sort of a property mark or something there that somebody decided to do away with.

Any guesses or opinions as to just what it might have been??

The serial number is 465161 and the cartouche is 1889.

Thanks,
    Dean

Perhaps a property mark from some previous owner?

Thats what you call a gouge LOL that's nothing more than a nick, Check my pic below. Now this is what you call a gouge

IMG_7533.jpg

That looks more like half of the buttstock sloughed off....

Quote Originally Posted by deadin View Post
    I recently picked up this M1886 Rifle. It is in nice shape and should make a good shooter.
    However there is this big honking gouge in the middle the right side of the buttstock.
    I'm guessing there was some sort of a property mark or something there that somebody decided to do away with.

Any guesses or opinions as to just what it might have been??

The serial number is 465161 and the cartouche is 1889.

Thanks,
    Dean
    There are companies out there that refinish rifle stocks and may be able to repair the gouge without removing too much surrounding wood. East Coast Bluing is one.
    Last edited by Merc; 09-03-2016 at 11:31.

A little boiled linseed oil and some fine sand paper should do the trick. looks like a very easy do it yourself fix. It dont look that bad i would just leave it,

That damage is part of the history of that rifle. These marks give the rifle character. Just put a little stock finish in it and seal the wood.

Here's another stock restorer: www.trfindley.com

So, now deadin can consider all possibilities. He can leave that "big honking gouge" alone, fix it himself or have it refinished by a pro. All are good choices.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.j View Post
    Thats what you call a gouge LOL that's nothing more than a nick, Check my pic below. Now this is what you call a gouge

IMG_7533.jpg
    Yeah, that's a big one. Possibly battle damage?

My 1873 rifle had a brass plate attached with brass tacks which my father removed... leaving quite a lot of character. The tacks were also down the fore end of the stock on both sides. I have no idea what they were put there for or what the brass plate had on it (dad tossed them all when he removed them) but he bought the trapdoor from an old farmer.

1873 Springfield Trapdoors 051.jpg
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo