Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tap-a-cap

Default Tap-a-cap

I've had one for years but only used the caps for
    dry firing. Never tried to mix up something to go bang.
    Has anyone made live caps with this gizmo ?
    If so, how'd you do it ?

No one has answers for you Dogtag. Me either. I don't even know what a "Tap-a-cap" is.

I think you're right Major Tom.
    It's for you to make your own percussion caps
    from aluminum beverage cans.
    It says to make bang material from strike anywhere
    matches but I figured there had to be a better way.
    Oh well. Thanks anyway.

Hey Dogtag, when you were a kid, did you ever make 'rockets' from used CO2 cartridges? We did! All you need is about 7 match books and make the hole in the cartridge a little larger to accept the match heads. Use a scissors and cut off the match heads and stuff them in the cartridge. stick a match stick in the hole and light it, then run! They go for hundreds of yards with a big WHOOSH!

No, but we used to take two bolts and a nut (huge), put match heads
    in the middle, toss it into the air. Came down with a bang.
    Hooligans.

6. Default

I made rocket motors out of CO2 cartridges and made little rockets to put them in. I mixed black powder and sawdust to control the burning. Sometimes they would blow up 40 feet in the air. Other time I would launch them out of a water pipe at a cinder block wall.
    Fred Pillot
    Captain
    San Jose Zouaves

You guys were pikers, we made hot air balloons out of the wrappings that were used for clothes from the dry cleaners and a glass bottle attached with strips of aluminum foil torn inside, powdered draino and water. This made a great deal of hydrogen and would propel the bag out of sight. If the statue of limitations is over, I will tell you a UFO story from 1969.
    Sam

We made mortars out of water pipe and what used to be called "double-voice" firecrackers (about the size - IIRC - of a 28ga. shell) with the fuse coming out the side. The first blast would launch the firecracker to tree-top height where the second explosion would occur. Scared the s**t out of some kids who thought they would take over our tree-house! Ah, the good old days!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by S.A. Boggs View Post
    You guys were pikers, we made hot air balloons out of the wrappings that were used for clothes from the dry cleaners and a glass bottle attached with strips of aluminum foil torn inside, powdered draino and water. This made a great deal of hydrogen and would propel the bag out of sight. If the statue of limitations is over, I will tell you a UFO story from 1969.
    Sam
    So that's what my dad was trying to do to my Goodyear blimp toy in the 70's. I remember the drano, he made a foaming mess in the backyard. Credit to pop for trying to get his kids blimp to fly.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

We used a scratch awl to open the end of CO2 cartridges. Folded piece of paper allowed us to trickle about a 1/4 inch of Unique (stolen from under a friends Dads workbench) into the thing and a waterproof rocket fuse plugged the hole. A bit of candle wax made sure it didn't come out.

Tossing them down the alley on the 4th they went off like Silver Salutes/1/4 sticks. Not until later when we went to look did we see the shrapnel holes in the garage doors and anti-freeze running out from one of them. I don't think any of us have ever been down that block again.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**