Thread: SVT40 questions

Default SVT40 questions

I just purchased a SVT40, and was trying to disassemble it to give it a good cleaning and lub before trying it out. I downloaded instructions for disassembly, but I'm stuck tring to remove the trigger assembly. Instructions say to swivel lever at back of recevier and depress the trigger release. When I swivel the lever there is nothing behind it to press. Am I missing some parts? I see no way of releasing the trigger assembly.

My humble opinion, I am reluctant to detail strip and reassemble guts of trigger groups. I would get it out of the stock, hose it down with carburetor cleaner, then lube with Tri-lube, Kroil, or similar. Wipe Down and you are done. Have you checked YouTube? NRA disassembly book has the SVT in it I will look at it....
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 09-04-2016 at 05:52.

3. Default

Turn the rifle over and depress the tab at the rear of the trigger guard with the point of a bullet.
    "There's a race of men that don't fit in,
    A race that can't stay still;
    So they break the hearts of kith and kin,
    And they roam the world at will." - Robert Service

The SVT was not a successful design and was basically a ceremonial rifle during the war. I can't think of any major Soviet engagement in which it was used. Have you checked on replacement parts if you intend to shoot it, how about a knowledgeable gunsmith? There are other Soviet designs more useful such as the SKS-45. I would use the SVT as what lead to other Soviet designs including the Superior AK-47!
    Sam

The SVT is a lot of fun to shoot. The big thing that is fragile on it is the stock. I choose to only shoot non-corrosive ammo in it, so I do a lot less disassembly. Mine was captured from the Russians by the Finns and exported by them to the US long ago. Disassembling it for the first time was extraordinarily difficult.

I've shot mine in reduced-distance Service Rifle and other matches, as well as just plinking. I can only think of a couple rifles I have that are any where near as much fun to shoot.

The SVT 40 was made in large numbers, over one and a half million being produced before production stopped late in WWII. They were used in combat throughout the war. They are a pain in the butt to disassemble (from one who's done it .) This is more of an issue since it is a maintenance hog. When the Soviets got their act together after the German invasion SVT 40s were mostly issued to non commissioned officers who were more likely to keep up with the maintenance requirements. It is an accurate rifle and some Commie snipers preferred it. The Nazis seemed to like the rifle since put every one they captured into service and copied a lot of the features of their G43 including the fixed piston gas system directly from the SVT 40. the G43 was at best a modest improvement over the SVT 40 and both were obviously quite inferior to the M1.
    Last edited by Art; 10-01-2016 at 10:06.