Thread: M1884 questions

Question M1884 questions

I just picked up a real clean M1884 (1889 cartouche) and have a couple question concerning the front sight.
    I have seen somewhere that the 1884 was intended for 500 gr bullets, so how much might this affect the sight (and accuracy) if using 405 gr. bullets at 100 yds.?
    I just read a previous thread about the 4 heights that are available, so would it be pretty much just "cut & paste" until I find the right combination?

Reloading... Currently my choices are IMR4895, IMR3031, H335, Unique and, of course, FFg. I also have a canister of Hodgdon Triple 7 but they don't seem to offer
    any data for it other than "reduce the volume by 15% from FFg". Which of these (if any) would be a good starting powder to work up a load??

Finally, an oddball question.... How much higher can I go on a front sight blade until a bayonet can no longer be mounted???

Thanks,

Dean

2. Default

deadin, I have an 1873 and an 1884 trapdoor and shoot both often. For the front sights, I went to a hardware store and bought washers just slightly thicker than the factory sights and the filed them thinner until they would fit in the slot. Then drill a small hole to match the pin. Note, the sight pin is tapered and should be pushed out from left to right, looking from the back of the rifle.. I made mine about 1/4 inch taller than the original. Then I went to the range and fired at 100 yds. Take a file and if shooting low, file the new sight down slightly. The more you file it down, the higher it will shoot. As for reloading, I use a very mild load as I do not want to stress the rifle and it is quite accurate to 100 yds which is the longest range I have access to. I use a 405 grain bullet from Hunter's Supply and 32.5 grains of H4895. I called Hodgden about loading for the trapdoor and H4895 was the only powder they recommended to these reduced levels. I have no idea if IMR4895 would work the same. These are a lot of fun to shoot and with good eyes can easily group 4 inches at 100 yds.
    Last edited by crest117; 08-21-2016 at 08:45.

I made brass inserts for the front sight. About 1/2 inch higher than original, hits POA at 100 yards.

4. Default

Understand that these rifles were meant to start at 200 yds if using the Buffington sight, which yours should have.
    If the buffington was laid flat, it was battle sights, meaning anything under 200 yds but it will still shoot high at 100 yards on a target.
    Some folks put a target on top of a target and shoot the lower target to hit the higher one and keep their front sights stock.
    I've experimented for months with various front sight heights and discovered my 1883 made rifle likes a sight .350 high to hit at 100 yds using the 200 yd mark on the peep sight of the Buffington.
    This is easy math for me. When I shoot targets set at 200, I simply slide the Buff up to 300.
    The above information is for 405 grain bullets using 26.0 grs of AA5744.
    If I use a BP load with a 500 gr bullet, I add 75 yards to the Buffington.
    Example:
    Using a 405 gr bullet, front sight height at .350, shooting at a target 100 yards away, my Buffington scale shows 200 yrds.
    using a 500 gr bullet, front sight at .350, shooting at a target 100 yards away, my Buffington scale shows 275 yds.

I think the .350 height is the perfect height for my rifle. I just add 100 yards to the Buff for 405 grain (Shows 200 on Buff), and 175 to the height for 500 gr.(Shows 275 on Buff)
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 08-23-2016 at 05:07.