Thread: New to M1s

Default New to M1s

Can anyone direct me to info regarding which parts on an M1 have manufacturers' markings? Thanks in advance.

Blog Entries

Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Military manuals are here in .pdf format. Note the need for the provided UN & PW. Feel free to send a nastygram to Fulton about their poor spelling. It's not Ordinance. That's a law. snicker.
    http://www.biggerhammer.net/manuals/
    The really important part about M1 Rifle part numbers is that they have absolutely nothing to do with the serial number. Part numbers are drawing numbers only. They should not match.
    When somebody says matching parts(99.99% have been made that way by somebody with too much time and money) they mean the same manufacturer. When they say 'correct'(also made that way and doesn't make the rifle worth more or more collectable.) they mean the parts and receiver match by the date of manufacture.
    Last edited by Sunray; 08-22-2016 at 09:44.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Unless I read something wrong ( have not looked at the Fulton page) ordnance is correct. Ordinance is a law, order, or decree according to my dictionary. Just my humble opinion but I believe collectors think part numbers are important for serial number ranges as they help them determine the originality of a rifle which in turn results in higher prices. If numbers, etc, were not important to some people there would be very little or no discussion on any of these forums. I have not purchased any garands for a long time but when I look at the prices on GB, CMP, and other forums the terms matching and correct normally generate higher prices.

"...the Fulton page..." It's the title of the FM. And my thumb typing. snicker. DOH!
    Spelling and grammar count!

6. Default

only a very few parts have marks that correspond to a specific manufacturer. for example, a safety marked "F" is associated with an International Harvester. Springfield Armory labeled parts "SA", an easy verification. some parts are only tied to a specific manufacturer by distinct features. The best general source for the beginning collector is the Scott Duff books.

Quote Originally Posted by tanker trash View Post
    , a safety marked "F" is associated with an International Harvester.
    Not totally correct, but not wrong. A non-serrifed F is IHC, whereas a serrifed F is late SA.
    Jon