Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Muzzle erosion

1. Default

And then there is the tapered gage. Reloaders have been know to use a throat erosion gage for the throat and then purchases another gage for the muzzle. And then there is the illusion the tapered gage is stepped. I have gages that are so old they are labeled go/not go, the go/not-go gages are stepped or one end of the gage is go and the other end is 'not go'. That was long before the Internet, after the Internet the name was changed to 'go or no-go.

The difference in length between a go gage and a no-go gage is .004" for the 30/06. I had rather measure the length of the chamber in thousandths than increments of .005". And then there is no-go gage length. The difference in length between a minimum length/full length sized case and a no-go gage length chamber is .009" meaning the difference in length between a minimum length/full length sized case from the shoulder to the case head is .005" shorter than a go-gage length chamber.

F. Guffey
    Last edited by fguffey; 09-16-2016 at 08:10.

Blog Entries

I put my micrometer (not caliper) on my Stone Axe gauge. It is spot on.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Ok, first there is mfg tolerance and that was more so back in the day. New barrel could read 1 or 2 on the MW.

Next, Steven Mathews carries on the Stone Axe gauge under his own name. Its a great tool and not too costly ($54 or so)

TE is so close on the 1917 as not to matter, per Steve not calibrated but we are not looking at close. different between 2 and 3 is not a problem

Difference between 3 and 8 is.

One tool does both measurements and is good for a number of different rifles (1903, 1917, Garand version with bent handle, 308 version.)