Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 27891011121314 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by 1903fan View Post
    So does that make Marine A5 Sniper Rifle the winner by default?
    Makes you stirring the pot.

Actually, I err on the side with the team of archival documents and supporting information.
    Last edited by Roadkingtrax; 11-25-2016 at 06:11.

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by 1903fan View Post
    So does that make Marine A5 Sniper Rifle the winner by default?
    By default of thoughtfullness, I'd say you were the winner of the Lame Remark award.

The winners are those, like myself, who've profited greatly by this exchange of differing viewpoints and interpretations of the data by two serious scholars of this very complicated subject--so complicated and confusing, it just leaves my head spinning.

3. Default

Quote Originally Posted by clintonhater View Post
    ....The winners are those, like myself, who've profited greatly by this exchange of differing viewpoints and interpretations of the data by two serious scholars of this very complicated subject--so complicated and confusing, it just leaves my head spinning.
    Which is the very purpose of a forum.

jt

fo·rum

ˈfôrəm

noun

noun: forum; plural noun: forums; plural noun: fora

a place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged.

Well of course your head is spinning, there are two view points that don't match up! A chance has been offered to make some sense of all this!

I must say though, how many of y'all are Marine snipers? I'm sure there are a few in here and I just want to say thanks for what you boys are doing

I've watched this with interest, but I admit one thought keeps going through my head:

"I'm SURE glad I stay away from sniper rifles!!"
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rick the Librarian View Post
    I've watched this with interest, but I admit one thought keeps going through my head:

"I'm SURE glad I stay away from sniper rifles!!"
    Yes, skinny cats like myself don't have to worry about being caught up in that mania.

7. Default

There's more to come, Rick.

jt

8. Default Well, Well

Headquarters U. S. Marine Corps
    Office of the Quartermaster
    Washington, DC

Quoted April 15, 1918.

1,000 leather carrying cases
    for Winchester telescope
    sights, including web straps
    length 16-1/4" over-all;
    inside diameter at base 1-
    7/8"; inside diameter at
    top 2-1/2"; each case to be
    fitted with six leather loops
    of such dimension to permit
    the attachment of web strap.
    Material used shall be 7 oz.
    russet leather; each case to
    be supplied with a leather
    cap of same material measur-
    ing 2-7/8" diameter, and 2-
    1/4" deep, in accordance
    with sample submitted.

I pulled this one, which I suspect is exactly like yours, Steve. Allow me to examine this order as written.

"...each case to be
    fitted with six leather loops
    of such dimension to permit
    the attachment of web strap."

OK, we now have 6-loops.

"...each case to
    be supplied with a leather
    cap of same material...."

Oh my goodness. Each of those caps has 2-loops, for a total loop count of 8 per scope case. The order is for 8-loop scope cases. When did you realize I was right?

Jim

Jim you are speculating, and adding info to the document that isn't stated. I've posted this document publically several times, even on facebook. And I've given it out to about every 1903 expert I respect the opinion of, so a ton of people have a copy of this document now. No one has mentioned to me that they have came up to the conclussion you have.

The only way I could even see arguing this is by saying a documented 6 loop Marine case doesn't exist. But they do. In fact a Marine Winchester 6 loop case is pictured on page 506 in Brophy's Book.

To prove me wrong, you need a actual document that clearly states they ordered cases with 8 loops to hold the web sling. This document clearly states that the case has 6 loops to hold the web sling. It does not say the case BODY has 6 loops and then the lid has 2 loops. For you to infer anything other than the 6 loops menitoned above, as being anything but the grand total of the number of loops, you would just be speculating and guessing.

After I got my Brophy book back, he also clearly states that 6 loop case are Marine cases, and 8 loop are commercial on page 507. So you are going to have prove Brophy wrong as well and that is something that is very difficult to do.

Last edited by cplnorton; 12-27-2016 at 08:43.

10. Default

Unless someone changed the rules of grammar, there is no speculation whatsoever. Maybe you can point out what I added to the document for those who may be confused by your statement. Military specifications are by nature very definitive, and the Corps ordered 8-loop cases. That order made a definite distinction between the case and the cap, with the case to have 6-loops. As we all know, the cap has two loops, for a total of eight.

It appears to me that all Brophy is doing is confirming the source of the 6-loop cases as being post-war, and nothing else. Besides that, what do post-war shooting teams have to do with the subject at hand?

"And I've given it out to about every 1903 expert I respect the opinion of...." So you have no respect for the opinion of those on this forum to whom you did not send a copy? Finally, you make a statement I believe.

jt