Thread: M77e picture

Default M77e picture

I just pulled this out of the safe. It's a
    77E trench gun . Picked it up at a TVA sale
    30 years ago . I am sure it's fake but will be a interesting view
    Anyway . Yes it has a heat shieid on the barrel . Pictures will follow soon

Although the two preceding photos don't show much of the gun, is there anything in particular that leads you to believe it's a clone? I don't think the 77E's drew much attention 30 years ago and I'll bet one could have been acquired fairly inexpensively. The heatshield, although proper for the shotgun, was an addition to make the 77E riot gun in to a trench gun; the heatshield does actually have an NSN assigned to it, so it can technically be considered USGI also.

I just thought it was fake because of the heatshield that was on it.
    It takes a late model M1 Garand. Really odd to me. I bought a lot of
    Military shotguns and carbines. And just put them them in the safe.
    I got a m620, m520, 97, and M77E, an 1 or 2 more all trench guns.
    In a few days I will have time to post pictures of any that are a interest to
    Any one. Most have a TVA mark schedule in the park finish. I will take some good pics.
    These guns are in great shape .

5. Default

I'd be interested in seeing the M620 and M520-30 guns.
    James,
    I'm a collector and researcher of Stevens 520/620 shotguns.

I'm unaware of any M77Es that were equipped with a handguard/heatshield assy. Were some retrofitted by TVA? Are you saying a M1 Garand bayonet fits on the lug? This is all very suspicious.
    JB

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by James B. View Post
    I'm unaware of any M77Es that were equipped with a handguard/heatshield assy. Were some retrofitted by TVA? Are you saying a M1 Garand bayonet fits on the lug? This is all very suspicious.
    JB
    Years ago I was at the Ohio Gun Collectors show, and while waiting for the gates to open, I saw a guy with a bayonet adapter sticking out of his backpack.
    So I asked him about it with the intent of making an offer to buy, but when he pulled it out it was one of those funky ones the OP is talking about.

So I said THAT IS NOT REAL. And he said, it MUST be, I took it off my 77E when I left Nam and brought it back with me. Now I'm looking for a 77E to put it on and make it like the gun I carried over there.

(It was NOT for sale).

So never say never, I have heard that the armorers did retrofit adapters to some guns over there.