Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Default

I know where there are three boxes of R-P Krag ammo. I know there are three because there used to be five boxes

Do I hear a bid for 100 dollars for release of the information to the secret location?
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by dlc_aec View Post
    my new krag - I WANNA SHOOT IT!!!!

anyone know where i might find some ammo? every place ive looked is out of stock.

thanks,
    douglas
    So where are you located?
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

dlc, do you have dies? I bet you could get a box or two from someone on this list.

jn

4. Default

sorry for the absence.

im in NW Oklahoma. no, i dont have dies... yet. i do plan on reloading, i just dont have anything (empty or loaded brass) to start with.

thanks,
    douglas

Gun shows, but be prepared to pay!
    You can never go home again.

Brass "flows" forward when fired. Annealing keeps it from getting work hardened from resizing but they still will get thinner, that's why they must be checked for length on occasion. Light loads of course help slow this to a minimum.
    You can never go home again.

Since this is the case, wouldn't the slight (0.1") shortage issue with .303 British brass eventually become almost moot?

Unfortunately, this "flow" on firing isn't really what happens. When fired (with good headspace and normal pressure), the case mostly expands outward to fill the chamber. This makes the diameter greater and actually decreases length. (Those in doubt need only measure cases before and after firing.) When a case is full-length sized, it gets pushed from the back end and squeezed around body and neck. Since metal displaced inward has to go somewhere and the only place not constrained by die and shellholder is forward, length then increases. If FL sizing weren't rather hard on our precious brass, this might be helpful for adding length - but it is, so we often size just the necks to enhance longevity.

When we neck size only, there's very little displacement of metal during sizing and length increase is minimal - not enough to add .1" during the normal life of a .303 or .30/40 case.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Parashooter View Post
    Unfortunately, this "flow" on firing isn't really what happens. When fired (with good headspace and normal pressure), the case mostly expands outward to fill the chamber. This makes the diameter greater and actually decreases length. (Those in doubt need only measure cases before and after firing.) When a case is full-length sized, it gets pushed from the back end and squeezed around body and neck. Since metal displaced inward has to go somewhere and the only place not constrained by die and shellholder is forward, length then increases. If FL sizing weren't rather hard on our precious brass, this might be helpful for adding length - but it is, so we often size just the necks to enhance longevity.

When we neck size only, there's very little displacement of metal during sizing and length increase is minimal - not enough to add .1" during the normal life of a .303 or .30/40 case.
    I can't understand why the RCBS X-Die isn't the most popular on the planet. Trim once and forget it.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I use LEE Pacesetter dies, neck size only (die backed out one full turn), and I rarely have to trim! I gotta agree with Para.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo