Page 1 of 7 123456 ... LastLast
  1. Default Where would one find ammo?

my new krag - I WANNA SHOOT IT!!!!

anyone know where i might find some ammo? every place ive looked is out of stock.

thanks,
    douglas

2. Default

I'll give you the not so good news first. You do what the rest of us do. Hit every little hole in the wall gun shop within a hundred mile radius of your house. Make friends with the owners, get their email addresses. You are not going to find a bag of brass unless it is in a hole in the wall. So buy a box of loaded ammo, if you can find it, and use it for your brass. If you can not wait then find .303 British brass and modify it to .30-40 Krag. If you can not find .303 British brass then you spend the money for loaded .303 British and use it as your brass source.

All the while keeping a daily eye on the major components sites for the second coming... ...of the Krag brass. Personally, I think the Christ will be showing up before Krag brass. When it does return know how many pieces will hold you over for a few years. Let's say you can get ten reloads from one case but you shoot five boxes a year. A hundred pieces will take you down the road four or five years. Or not.

Just one guy's opinion and suggestion.

The good news. It could be here tomorrow. Or maybe the day after.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Blog Entries

A friend bought one about three years ago and couldn't even find brass to make cast reloads.

There was loaded ammo for sale on the classified board here a week ago.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

The easy answer is buy Remington ammo, shoot it, and then you have some brass. It IS out there to be found... it's just scarce these days. Remington loaded ammo is good accurate stuff and safe to shoot in Krags. Winchester used to produce ammo too, but it's about as common now as a diamond in a dirt pile! If you are perusing gun shows, and run across a box of the Winchester (modern stuff... not Super-X, Super-Speed, or any of the odd derivatives), my advice is BUY IT!!! The Winchester brass is about as good as it comes!!!

Using .303 brass is a great alternative... but the case length will be about .1 shorter than a 30-40 case.

It baffles me that with all of the Krags out there, and with all of the active Krag shooters, no one is making brass. Remington no longer sells cases, and only produces loaded ammo on a limited "seasonal" basis anymore. I understand that there is a limited market for factory loaded ammo now-a-days... but I don't understand why no one sees the market for brass! Shoot, PPU makes 7.7x58 mm (7.7 JAP) brass and Hornady makes loaded ammo with it... and there's a heck of a lot more Krags being used out there than Type 99s!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

"...buy Remington ammo..." Only loaded "seasonally". Winchester, I believe, discontinued it altogether. Midway discontinued carrying brass
    "...Using .303 brass is a great alternative..." Pretty much the only alternative. There is no .30-40 Krag readily available otherwise. Not even from OWS. There is a bag of 50 once fired on Gunbroker. Current bid is $57. Ends 28 Aug. Plus $10 shipping. Another 50 mix of Remington and Winchester bidding at $74.99. No bids at all. Ends 23 Aug. And some daft guy in CA who thinks 5 cases is worth $46.
    "...with all of the Krags out there..." Actually few and far between.
    Spelling and grammar count!

When I bought my sewer pipe Krag, which actually shoots pretty well, in 1966 at Deep River Armory in Houston, I bought 200 rounds of UMC .30 Army Full Patch. Assume it was made late teens or early 20's. I shot away about half of it and have been reloading those cases for the last 40 years but I kind of retired them as I started getting a few neck cracks. The original brass was pretty thin compared to new modern stuff and may have had some damage due to mercuric priming, corrosive priming I would assume as well. Anyway hearing this I certainly won't throw it out, I might anneal the necks of the survivors. If you (like me) neck size only, I am not sure you could wear out modern brass.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 08-19-2016 at 03:48.

I admit I get my eyes open in every hole in the wall, every dealer's junk box at gun shows and watched the WTS ads. Over the last ten years you'd be surprised what I "hunted and gathered"!

IMG_3521 (527x1024).jpg
    Last edited by Rick the Librarian; 08-19-2016 at 11:27.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

I anneal and neck size only. Some of my R-P brass is well into twenty or more reloads. I get the occasional neck crack (had two during the Roosevelt Match), and those go into the scrap bin. You will eventually wear the modern brass out... but with proper care, annealing, and neck sizing... you can extend that life ten-fold!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

30-40 Krag can be found around here in every feed and tractor supply store. You can buy boots, lariats, bridles, harnesses, saddles, blankets, pet food, candy, knives, batteries, bird houses, tractor supplies and other hardware, fencing, feeders, water tanks, Baby chicks, baby ducks, etc. etc. and all kinds of ammo including lots of boxes of 30-40 Krag.
    Last edited by Fred; 08-19-2016 at 12:38.

Ok... So let's all flock to Fred's. Maybe we could all meet at Fred's house and then descend an-masse to the store. Then, afterward, we'll have a BBQ at Fred's to celebrate!

Heehee

Seriously though... I bet there are a lot of mom & pop type stores and supply stores, etc. that would have it. We just need to root these places out! There's a small gun shop out here near Tecumseh, MI which I bet has some. Also, last time I was at Cabela's in Dundee, they had 10 or so boxes too!