Page 4 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast
  1. Default

Yep. Just anneal the necks and go with neck sizing for as long as you can get away with it.

Geeze, I'm glad that I bought the heck out of it back in 1999 when I got my first carbine!! People then looked at me like I was insane pushing 300 rounds of new WW brass in those spiffy white 20 rd boxes across the counter. Hadn't heard about making it out of 303. I DO occasionally run across ammunition once in awhile, but haven't bought any because of what I already have on the shelf.
    Last edited by Darreld Walton; 10-13-2016 at 04:43.

Wish I had some of the 300... I consider the WW brass to be the best out there! Oh how I wish that Winchester would start producing it again...
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

4. Default

I have tried to contact Starline a couple of times an asked why they don't make 30-40 brass! Never had an answer from them. Anybody have an educated guess why they don't produce some?

Quote Originally Posted by 19coupe55 View Post
    I have tried to contact Starline a couple of times an asked why they don't make 30-40 brass! Never had an answer from them. Anybody have an educated guess why they don't produce some?
    My "educated guess" is . . . .

There are only a relative FEW of us old. grey-beards that are interested in the old "wood-and-steel" rifles!

Now, if some company was to make a "black, plastic, laser-sighted, AR-platform" rifle, chambered in 30-40 Krag . . . . .

FWIW, I wrote Prvi Partizan last week asking them to consider making Krag brass. No reply as of yet!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

7. Default

Quote Originally Posted by JimF View Post
    My "educated guess" is . . . .

There are only a relative FEW of us old. grey-beards that are interested in the old "wood-and-steel" rifles!
    Correct. Which is why ammunition isn't as hard to acquire as people imply.

Local auctioneers often have "sportsman" auctions. That is where the old ammunition is to be found. With fewer and fewer people interested in the Krags you can normally take full boxes from those auctions for not much money. Over the last decade I've taken enough that way to fill ammunition can after can. If you're concerned that it was reloaded knock it down and reload it.

If you live in an area which doesn't have those auctions then troll the online sites which cater to them: Auctionzip and Proxibid.

Auctions without an online buyer's option are better as it's local competition only. Yesterday I was at an auction where the first 100 lots were old ammunition. Those weren't available online as they didn't want the pain of selling it to people not at the auction. After those lots were gone it was guns which were available online. I had two auctions to choose from with the other having an incredibly amount of ammunition but it was a further drive.

It's out there. Auctions.

The last "new" box of Krag cartridges I saw was in 2013 in a Gander Mountain in Utah. I bought exactly one box as I already have more than I'll shoot.
    Last edited by 5MadFarmers; 10-16-2016 at 08:19.

8. Default

I know of four boxes of Remington Krag ammo at hole in the wall gun shops. I asked the latest one last week if he had any Krag ammo and he opened a glass front cabinet door and pulled out a box. I could see that he had three boxes. I didn't want to buy all three nor did he suggest it.

Here is my intel report for you new guys without ammo. One shop is near New Philadephia, Ohio and had two boxes for sale as of a month ago and the one mentioned above is near Westminster Mayland. If you are near those places shoot me a pm and I'll tell you the names and contact info.

Getting off both of the Inter-State and Internet super highways has sevred me well. Plus I get to see some of America while doing it.
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 10-17-2016 at 07:28.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

For what it's worth... I wrote Prvi Partizan last week asking them to consider making 30-40 brass. I got this reply last night:

Dear Mr.,

Thank you for contacting our company, and also for your suggestions.

We would like to inform you that we will not manufacture 30/40 Krag, in the future, but we will consider your opinion in our development plan.

Best regards
    PPU Team
    Prvi Partizan A.D.

Has anyone contacted Starline yet? I understand they are now making bottleneck cases (308 Win/7.62x51mm)

There seems to be a little language/semantics/translation issue there, unless they were just being polite and a trifle condescending. Anyway, they clearly aren't going to do it NOW. Still cannot see why they won't, if they make .303B. Wonder if they ever thought about making a generic, partly formed case that could be sized and trimmed by the user, ala some of the BELL basic cases?