Default Range report Underwood R.I. Rebuild

Took the Underwood R.I. Rebuild out and it didn't go as planned . We shot buddy's National Postal Meter first with good results (see seperate range report). Shot my first group of 5 Winchester White box 110 grain FMJ at 100 yards. 2.75 group, I'll take it. Loaded 5 rounds Remington UMC up. Fourth road failed to extract. Dropped mag and cycled bolt with no results. Having owned an Iver Johnson in the past (another story) I looked right at the extractor. Whoops sticking way out...I new we had a problem.

So the detent let go, maybe bad, maybe indexed wrong, and launched. I found the 10 coil spring in the grass, yeah that's never happened before, but detent was gone. Nothing appeared hurt.

So a phone call later to a buddy and I learned he had some detents and still had a bolt tool. I'll put it back together, make sure it's indexed right and try it another day.

image.jpg
    Last edited by p246; 08-17-2016 at 09:14.

Oh at least I know bolt is all Underwood now...

You found the spring but not the plunger? That is unheard of to find even one of them. lol. They normally just disappear to the land of lost parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    You found the spring but not the plunger? That is unheard of to find even one of them. lol. They normally just disappear to the land of lost parts.
    I went and bought a lottery ticket. With my luck I'll just be the guy that found the spring lol

Must be this is not an unusual event. My early IBM did the same thing when I first acquired it. Maybe one of you carbine experts can tell us what causes this type of failure?
    Last edited by DaveL; 08-20-2016 at 08:19.

The extractor can and does come out of it's slot in the bolt if the plunger that holds the extractor in place is not lined up properly. There is a face on the plunger that sits against the extractor. It allows the extractor to move when a round is chambered to grab the rim. If it is not seat properly there is nothing to hold the plunger in place and finally the spring pressure under the plunger pushes the plunger out of it's hole and it and the spring fly away to parts unknown and sometimes the extractor comes out too and then the hunt is one for these small parts. So proper assembly is the key to keep the bolt working properly. One thing I learned years ago was to use a small amount of grease on the end of the plunger on top of the spring so once it is lined up it will stay there when putting in the extractor. Well it will stay most of the time. Might take a try or two to get it but that is what a bolt tool is for to help with the assembly of the bolt parts.

Thanks Tuna, good info as usual.

I might add that the pawl on the GI bolt tool does this job for you. The solid end of the pawl is for disassembly and the split end is for assembly. The split end fits over the plunger and keeps it correctly positioned so it properly engages the extractor when the pawl is released. The "right tool for the right job" works very well in this instance.