Default Mauser 98 detachable magazine

This is probably a longshot but have any of you used a Mauser 98 detachable magazine? They are made for the 8mm, 30/06 and 270 family cartridges but my question is: "can they be used with the 308 cartridge"? I'm probably going to buy one and try it anyway but was wondering if anyone here had used one and altered it (if necessary) to feed the 308's. Gibbs makes some of these and others I believe are un-marked. I don't see any of these for the short actions, just the long.

http://www.gunbroker.com/item/573720236

Probably if you put in a spacer. The .308 is a half inch shorter than the '06. Issue is that the mag probably won't fit a short receiver like that found on an Israeli Mauser.
    Kind of surprised to see Gunparts advertising on an auction site.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Suspect you will have issues with tipping of your stack of rounds. Good luck trying to rebuild the follower and spring if you add a spacer. Not bluuudy likely....

Had experience with two guns, one was an 03A3 with the barrel set back and rechambered for .308. Even with only 5 rds., feeding was unpredictable, and they needed to be positioned one at a time in the center of the follower.. Not loaded with a stripper clip. Usually in the string somewhere the top round would drag the next one blew it forward as it was being chambered and the whole mess tipped over. Had an FN-49 converted 7mm with an 03A3 barrel, it would dependably feed maybe 7 stacked carefully by hand in the center of the follower, not loaded by stripper clip.

Others have described rip roaring success feeding .308's in rechambered 1903 variants. Ich nicht.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 09-12-2016 at 06:58.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Griff Murphey View Post
    Suspect you will have issues with tipping of your stack of rounds. Good luck trying to rebuild the follower and spring if you add a spacer. Not bluuudy likely....

Had experience with two guns, one was an 03A3 with the barrel set back and rechambered for .308. Even with only 5 rds., feeding was unpredictable, and they needed to be positioned one at a time in the center of the follower.. Not loaded with a stripper clip. Usually in the string somewhere the top round would drag the next one blew it forward as it was being chambered and the whole mess tipped over. Had an FN-49 converted 7mm with an 03A3 barrel, it would dependably feed maybe 7 stacked carefully by hand in the center of the follower, not loaded by stripper clip.

Others have described rip roaring success feeding .308's in rechambered 1903 variants. Ich nicht.
    Someone once said on here long ago the 1903 feed lips were made for 3006 and the shorter, fatter 308 would cause problems.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur