Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    San Clemente, Ca Within earshot of the sound of freedom from Camp Pendleton

Default Springfield Armory M1922 M2 Bolt Question

I recently sold my SA M1922 M2 rifle. The rifle was marked M2 on the receiver, the barrel is marked 1938, and the serial number is 6679. The bolt did not have an electro-pencil marking on it.

The guy who bought the rifle is saying it is an incorrect bolt because it wasn't electro-penciled.

I seem to recall the bolt having the adjusting mechanism on it.

I have shot it and it functioned fine.

Is there a problem with an unmarked bolt?

Thanks for your knowledge.
    Last edited by Deano41; 08-17-2016 at 09:31. Reason: wrong date on barrel, should be 1938
    Dean (the other one)
    OFC-Orange Co. Ca Chapter

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Deano41 View Post
    Is there a problem with an unmarked bolt?
    Depends on one's definition of "problem." Slick Willie is always the best one to consult on definitions, but if he's unavailable, what I can tell you is that the rifle didn't leave SA in 1934 with an un-numbered bolt.

3. Default

Springfield always numbered the bolt to the rifle in the M2's (also 1922 M1's, but not the 1922 rifles). The rifle was likely reworked as 1938 barrel date is later than the receiver which would have been produced about 1932. Some reworks will have the bolt numbered to the rifle, but often parts got swapped around so that most of the 22 caliber Springfield rifles encountered will be "mixed up". You can always check the headspace to be on the safe side.
    One other note, the early M2's used the bolt without the headspace adjustment.

Blog Entries

My M2 Sales Variation #6478 has a 10-38 barrel. I would say the subject rifle probably has the original barrel but I agree the subject rifle left Springfield Armory as a new item with the bolt numbered to the receiver.

Thank you all very much for your expertise.

Since the bolt is unmarked, I surmise it was a replacement.

I really liked the rifle, I guess I'll be getting it back. I'll have the dealer refund the purchaser's money. and I'll pay for the shipping and other costs. Sometimes lack of knowledge (My fault) can get expensive.
    Dean (the other one)

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Deano41 View Post
    Sometimes lack of knowledge (My fault) can get expensive.
    All too true; however, the first question the buyer should have asked is "does the bolt have a matching ser. no.?" Many of the crooks doing business on Gun Broker would have said that if the buyer didn't ask, the responsibility was his.

Jouster.com was recommended to me by a very nice lady at the CMP back in 1998. I didn't have a computer, and really wasn't interested in getting one. One of my co-workers brought up Jouster.com on his computer. I was astounded at the wealth of knowledge on that website. I bought my first computer that week, and have been coming here ever since.

One of the regulars on Jouster was Col. Bill Mook. A collector and expert on Krag rifles. I bought my first Krag rifle, and asked a question regarding the 1896 rear sight on an 1898 rifle. I got some of the usual replies from the "wise guys". Col. Mook answered with the explanation of the difference in ammunition during that time period. I have always tried to conduct myself on the internet with that same attitude.

Thank you all for helping me with your expertise.
    Dean (the other one)

I really liked the rifle, I guess I'll be getting it back. I'll have the dealer refund the purchaser's money. and I'll pay for the shipping and other costs. Sometimes lack of knowledge (My fault) can get expensive.
    Maybe not. I purchased a rifle from a forum member on the advice of a friend. Paid a going rate for a scarce rifle. The barrel turned out to be a replacement. I contacted the seller and told him about it. He honestly didn't know. Rather than return the rifle, we came to an agreed adjustment in the price and he sent me that amount and I kept the rifle.

Your willingness to "do the right thing" is commendable.

FWIW,

Emri

Thank you Emri. I cut and pasted the replies I received on CSP and forwarded them to my dealer. I have been selling off my collection with him for the last several years, and have written a description including any flaws on a tag tied to the trigger guard. The guy who photographs and writes the descriptions on the gunbroker ad includes that information.

I have always done my "homework" on the firearms I have bought, and knew about the electro-penciled bolts on M1922s. But I didn't know that EVERY bolt had them.

I spoke with the dealer yesterday, and he was going to contact the purchaser about the unmarked bolt. If he wants to return it, that's fine. The dealer has another buyer who wants it. I stressed that any buyer be told about the unmarked bolt.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/item/573023249
    Dean (the other one)

Blog Entries

In Kragrifle's post above he mentions that the Model of 1922 did not have the bolts numbered to the receiver. I agree with that. The 1922M1 1922MII and M2 rifles all had the bolts numbered to the receiver.
    Even though many people refer to all Springfield .22's as M1922 there are different nomenclatures for the different variations.