Default Enfield 2A safety problem

Hi,
    I finally got around to cleaning off the black paint and crud on a 2A I bought years ago. It's a 1965 2A (10 rd., 2000 sight) and all the parts are there. The bbl. looks like new.
    The problem is that when I open and close the bolt, if I move the safety from off to on, there is a click and it feels like the safety is "disconnected". Also, the cocking piece moves forward a short distance and the trigger will not "fire" the rifle. If I pull the cocking piece all the way back and then pull the trigger, it will fire. [ I have not actually fired the rifle or put a live round in ].

I'm not an expert on SMLE's, but I'm thinking that the safety doesn't work on the trigger but does work on the bottom of the cocking piece. Would that be correct? If so, I'll get an Indian safety assembly from Spring. Sporters ($15).

Thanks,

Dave

Possibly the safety is incorrectly assembled. There are several ways to assemble the safety mechanism BUT only ONE of them is correct.
    Another possibility is the safety spring is weak.

The safety should index at the 11:00 position. One tooth off on the worm gear could/will cause problems. Be sure you put it back correctly after cleaning.

When engaging the safety lever it should cause the cocking piece to move back ever so slightly. Once you remove the safety assembly for a look-see, work the bolt and trigger without it. If it's going to the half cock position then there is a problem in the notches on the underside of the cocking piece or something amiss with the sear engagement. Inspect for chipped edges or worn areas on all three, Bolt, sear lever, and safety nib.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

I recall similar problem with an SMLE MANY YEARS ago which ultimately came down to the positioning of a "gear'. I don't remember the actual specifics of the repair, but I believe that JB White's post is on to it.

Thanks to all of you for your replies. I'll take it apart again and see if I can do it correctly this time.

Dave

Let us know what you might find?

Thanks.

Sorry I took so long to reply. I replaced the safety spring with a British one that I had and all's well. Looking back, I wonder if I never tightened the screw enough. Unlike the rest of the rifle, that screw was really worn down and chewed up. Anyway, I bought a new screw and changed the spring at the same time.
    Dave

If it's got the original magazine it holds 12 rounds, not 10.

Quote Originally Posted by FCPDAVE View Post
    Sorry I took so long to reply. I replaced the safety spring with a British one that I had and all's well. Looking back, I wonder if I never tightened the screw enough. Unlike the rest of the rifle, that screw was really worn down and chewed up. Anyway, I bought a new screw and changed the spring at the same time.
    Dave
    Thanks for the follow-up and happy to hear that's all it was. Something I neglected to mention since it was John who spoke of the weak spring, was to try a slight bend to the spring to see if conditions improved. It's only a temporary fix since the spring will relax to it's weakened position. At least you would've known that ordering a new spring wasn't a crap shoot.