1. Default 1903 front sight base

I have 2 Remington front sight bases that do not have a hole in the front to accept the screw that secures it to base.

Normal or rejects? If normal how did they drill the hole without running the threads for the screw.

2. Default

Normal. When SA was building M1903's they boresighted the front sight then drilled the holes. I received a couple of these sights when I ordered parts through the DCM.
    Last edited by Cosine26; 08-13-2016 at 05:49.

they have pins,. you just have to look real close. they blend in very easy
    if it aint broke...fix it till it finally is.

I believe Bob meant the F-S Blade-Base, that dovetails and 'lock-screws' into the 'banded' front sight base, (which is pinned & 'splined' on the barrel).

Quote Originally Posted by Bob in WA View Post
    I have 2 Remington front sight bases that do not have a hole in the front to accept the screw that secures it to base.

Normal or rejects? If normal how did they drill the hole without running the threads for the screw.
    The hole you describe as missing was drilled after the rifle was targeted. The front sight movable stud was adjusted by targeting (or boresighting) to center the windage. The barrel was then fixtured, drilled, and the screw installed to lock the movable stud in place. Precise fixturing kept the drill bit from damaging the screw threads.

Spare undrilled front sight movable studs were issued as replacements for arsenal or depot overhaul. You apparently have some of those.

J.B.

6. Default

Thanks you all for the information. I will have to find a used movable stud for my barrel.

Bob