Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Garand question..

I took my 6/43 Springfield out for the 1st time in a while and was reminded that when you insert the loaded enbloc,the bolt releases as soon as the enbloc is fully seated instead of having to hit the slide to release.I assume there is a weak spring somewhere.Thanks in advance...

2. Default

You shouldn't have to hit anything to release the bolt. Once the enbloc is fully inserted, the bolt should stay back as long as you keep your thumb pressure on the top round. Once you take your thumb off (quickly) the bolt should move forward. Sometimes a light tap on the op rod is needed to get it started, but that isn't by design. When you load, hold the back of your hand in the charging handle to keep it from getting your thumb.
    http://www.m1-garand-rifle.com/loading/
    Last edited by Brownac1983; 08-08-2016 at 02:06.

Quote Originally Posted by glockshot View Post
    I took my 6/43 Springfield out for the 1st time in a while and was reminded that when you insert the loaded enbloc,the bolt releases as soon as the enbloc is fully seated instead of having to hit the slide to release.I assume there is a weak spring somewhere.Thanks in advance...
    Hmmm . . . need we ask just HOW you were reminded of this A Holbrook device could be $65 well spent.
    http://www.m1thumbsaver.com/
    "They've took the fun out of running the race. You never see a campfire anywhere. There's never any time for visiting." - Joe Redington Sr., 1997

I love a slick garand that slides smoothly after inserting the enblock. On the other hand, I think it is an opportunity to look cool if it hangs up just a little. You can slap the oprod handle forward and look like you really know what your doing. Either way, no problem.
    If I should die before I wake...great,a little more sleep.

"...bolt releases as soon as the en bloc is..." That's how The Rifle is supposed to work. No springs are weak or damaged. Should be the pad of one's thumb with said digit facing forward pushing down, not the tip.
    The cause of "M1 Thumb" is operator failure. Failing to load correctly. A Holbrook device is a waste of $65.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

It is impossible to get M1 thumb loading the rifle with a full clip.

I have great respect for Mr. Holbrook, but don't have a use for his device.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Sorry, but I gotta give a +1 to Sunray and PhillipM too. Never had a need for the Holbrook device and never will. Anyone loading an M1, and learned to do it right will never experience M1 Thumb!
    Last edited by psteinmayer; 08-08-2016 at 11:54.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I have a mixmaster 1943 Springfield Garand that I had rebuilt after I got it from the CMP in 1995. I required a bump from my palm (or base of my thumb if you will) to release the bolt after the clip was seated before and after rebuild. 4,000 rounds later and the barrel needs replacing, it still needs a bump.
    I have a 1954 IHC Garand from the DCM in 1998 that was for all intents "new" when I got it. It requires a bump from my palm to release the bolt except occasionally when charged with new, unfired brass. Even then it needs a bump most of the time. Part of my routine.

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    It is impossible to get M1 thumb loading the rifle with a full clip.
    100% correct; it's amazing that so many people still believe they can get their thumb crushed when loading an M1. Careless handling of an empty rifle is the cause of M1 Thumb.

10. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Rock View Post
    100% correct; it's amazing that so many people still believe they can get their thumb crushed when loading an M1. Careless handling of an empty rifle is the cause of M1 Thumb.
    +1...the bolt can't push your thumb AND a cartridge into the chamber at the same time.