Default M1 Drill Rifle Conversion Back to Functioning Rifle ...... Questions?

Has anyone converted an M1 drill rifle back to a functioning rifle? I have an acquaintance who has a drill rifle that has only a very small spot of weld joining the barrel to the receiver and he is thinking of cutting the weld with a Dremel tool, cleaning the weld residue off, and installing a new barrel. I have seen other drill rifles where this was done but I'm still wondering about the safety of it. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of rifles that have been converted? Please keep in mind that it is a very small spot of weld and there is almost no discoloration beyond the weld indicating heat migration. I would appreciate any insights. Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by Garden Valley View Post
    Has anyone converted an M1 drill rifle back to a functioning rifle? I have an acquaintance who has a drill rifle that has only a very small spot of weld joining the barrel to the receiver and he is thinking of cutting the weld with a Dremel tool, cleaning the weld residue off, and installing a new barrel. I have seen other drill rifles where this was done but I'm still wondering about the safety of it. Does anyone have any first hand knowledge of rifles that have been converted? Please keep in mind that it is a very small spot of weld and there is almost no discoloration beyond the weld indicating heat migration. I would appreciate any insights. Thanks.
    What do you mean by "drill rifle"? I have one of the DCM M-1's that had the gas plug removed from the gas cylinder and the cylinder lock then welded to the cylinder so that the rifle would fire only has a straight pull bolt action. It also has a small weld between the barrel and receiver. These were distributed as ceremonial rifles for some time in the late 70's-early 80's. Many of these were later returned and exchanged for semi rifles with BFD's on them. I recall the CMP advertising the sale of those returned rifles after the CMP had converted them back to semi. The fact that the receiver-barrel weld was present was noted. The CMP considered them safe to fire; I've never had a problem with the one I have other than the weld needed to be taken down a bit with the dremel because it interfered with the op rod. I don't have any first hand knowledge as to rebarreling those rifles, but I would think that if they are safe to fire with the weld intact, they should be safe to fire after being rebarreled after removing the weld.

Quote Originally Posted by kcw View Post
    What do you mean by "drill rifle"? I have one of the DCM M-1's that had the gas plug removed from the gas cylinder and the cylinder lock then welded to the cylinder so that the rifle would fire only has a straight pull bolt action. It also has a small weld between the barrel and receiver. These were distributed as ceremonial rifles for some time in the late 70's-early 80's. Many of these were later returned and exchanged for semi rifles with BFD's on them. I recall the CMP advertising the sale of those returned rifles after the CMP had converted them back to semi. The fact that the receiver-barrel weld was present was noted. The CMP considered them safe to fire; I've never had a problem with the one I have other than the weld needed to be taken down a bit with the dremel because it interfered with the op rod. I don't have any first hand knowledge as to rebarreling those rifles, but I would think that if they are safe to fire with the weld intact, they should be safe to fire after being rebarreled after removing the weld.
    Thanks. That's good info. I did not know the CMP had previously sold such rifles and considered them to be safe to fire. Seems my friend can re-barrel his rifle and not be concerned. I used a generic "drill rifle" term to describe his rifle but I did not see any other changes made to his rifle other than the small weld at the junction of the barrel and receiver ring. Perhaps it is a rifle that came from the CMP. Thanks again.

There were two different kinds sold by the CMP. Ceremonial rifles that had the small tack weld at the receiver and the gas lock and screw tacked together and then there are actual drill rifles which have all kinds of welding done to make them non functional just like the 03/03a3 drill rifles. The ceremonial rifles are probably OK the others it depends on the severity of the modifications.

reconversion is a simple process. The bolt, barrel and gas cyl system will have to be replaced. It is just a few hours work.

A great deal depends on why a particular rifle was DP'd and who did it. Some were DP'd due to the receiver being worn to the point of being unsafe. Some just because the rifle was declared surplus to requirement and taken out of service and welded into a fancy paperweight.
    What the CMP did to make 'em DP's is at the bottom here. http://thecmp.org/cmp_sales/rifle_sales/m1-garand/
    "...just a few hours work..." IF you have the right tools and skills.
    Spelling and grammar count!