1. Default New old Mauser 98 and questions

My dad has three Mauser 98s. Two are Yugo 44 refurbs. All are in excellent condition from his fathers old extensive gun collection. The one I am looking at is a true German with mostly matching mostly matching numbers and the off ones match each other. It is a 1936 with a manufacturing code of S/42(I looked it up earlier and found the factory), has lots of eagle marks on many of the plates, but has two markings I am confused about.
    The first is "Kal 7.62 M/M"

The second is one of the serial numbers on the upper is "FLY-the number-"

I assume(not fired) the 7.62 part means its chambered in 7.62, although the tag on the rifle when it was on sale at grandad's shop says 30-06.

Were any originals chambered in 7.62? What kind of 7.62 would it fire? x54, x51, etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Dragon 5 Actual View Post
    My dad has three Mauser 98s. Two are Yugo 44 refurbs. All are in excellent condition from his fathers old extensive gun collection. The one I am looking at is a true German with mostly matching mostly matching numbers and the off ones match each other. It is a 1936 with a manufacturing code of S/42(I looked it up earlier and found the factory), has lots of eagle marks on many of the plates, but has two markings I am confused about.
    The first is "Kal 7.62 M/M"

The second is one of the serial numbers on the upper is "FLY-the number-"

I assume(not fired) the 7.62 part means its chambered in 7.62, although the tag on the rifle when it was on sale at grandad's shop says 30-06.

Were any originals chambered in 7.62? What kind of 7.62 would it fire? x54, x51, etc.?
    Israel converted various 98's to 7.62 Nato. I believe that Norway? converted 98's to 30.06, but I believe that they also notched the receiver ring a bit so that the tip of the M-2 round wouldn't jam against it. Any gunsmith can do a chamber casting to determine just what you have. Of course if an 06' won't chamber in it, it's highly probable that it's the Nato round.

3. Default

I thought the Israelis added an IDF mark on their 98s. Plus it would surprise me if they kept the German eagles. Ill research the Norway versions and see what I come up with.
    Not that I care about price on them, but assuming all are in excellent shape(which they are) which are worth more, the Yugo refurbs or the 7.62? One of the Yugo's still has the barrel dust cover, havent figured out how they sight with it on though.

Your descriptions and info are nothing but confusing. Post picture of the rifle you want info on. Barrel dust cover? FLY may well be the Norway Airforce. The caliber marking is most likely part of import stamp, not reliable at all!
    Yugo refurbs are just that, being sold now for 3-400 bucks or less. The S/42, 1936 if original could be worth 500-800, if not an RC and if possible GI bring back, not import stamped.
    You can never go home again.

I did a bit of research and found that any Norwegian marked 98K in 7.62 NATO was first a 30.06 conversion. As such, any 7.62NATO conversion will have the receiver notch found on the 30.06 conversion. Unfortunately BOTH the 7.62 NATO AND the 30.06 barrels bear the same KAL 7.62mm marking. Just as the conversion to 7.62 NATO got underway, it was decided to that the militia units using the Mauser would be equipped with the same G3 rifle used by the regular Army, therefore relatively few Mausers were converted to 7.62 NATO. The odds are that your rifle is a 30.06. A simple chambering of an 06' round should tell you all you need to know.

My rifle is stamped 30-06 and I never seen one stamped 7.62 'NATO', only 7.62 which in Europe could mean either.
    Last edited by dave; 08-08-2016 at 05:31.
    You can never go home again.