Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Stock finish

That looks like a good idea BUT since I have over 50, I will have to give it a miss

Blog Entries

I got lazy and put chestnut ridge military stain with a hint of red in my linseed oil.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    I got lazy and put chestnut ridge military stain with a hint of red in my linseed oil.
    Lazy? I prefer to call it artistic! Doesn't take much to tint the oil. Certain shades of Fiebings dye work too.
    Sad part is when I see someone does too much. They might think their opaque fake finish looks great, so I hesitate to mention what I really think.
    Made the same mistakes twice when I was a little younger and more enthusiastic. I let things get away from me. hmmmm....Technically I was younger yesterday than I am today.
    Last edited by JB White; 08-08-2016 at 04:34.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**

4. Default

Prior to Dunkirk British Enfield rifles were torn down once per year for their yearly inspection. During this inspection the stock was again placed in a tank of hot raw linseed oil and soaked overnight. meaning a yearly soaking in raw linseed oil.

After Dunkirk the rifles were painted under the wood line to prevent rust and only torn down as needed for repairs. And the troops were issued raw linseed oil, and oiled the rifles once per month.

Todays BLO with chemical driers were never used on any military rifle, if todays BLO were to be placed in a open heated tank it would turn to the constancy of Jell-O.

"BUT" as stated above the purpose of the raw linseed oil was to penetrate the wood and keep it from drying out and thus prevent wood shrinkage. Wood shrinkage on the Enfield fore stock creates bedding problems and the rifle will loose the required 2 to 7 pounds of up pressure at the fore end tip.

NOTE, When wooden canoes are finished the wood is treated with raw linseed oil until the wood will not absorb any more raw linseed oil. After the raw linseed has been done applying the canoe gets several coats of varnish to protect the surface of the wood. So again the raw linseed oil is used to prevent wood shrinkage, and water seeping or leaking at the wood joints.

On my shooter Enfield rifles the stocks are soaked in a 50/50 mix of raw linseed oil and turpentine in a wall paper wetting tray. And when dry I use the canoe method and seal the surface with wiping varnish.

Minwax Tung Oil Finnish contains no tung oil and is nothing more than a wiping varnish, and dries to a satin finish.
    Last edited by bigedp51; 08-08-2016 at 09:19.

According to that raw linseed was approved for field use in 1940, cancelling the provisions of ACI 88. Got a copy of that by chance? Not having all the paperwork at my disposal I can only repeat what others have found. RLO wasn't always recommended for maintenance, as your copy of ACI 1444 eludes to.

As I have always contended in the past, we don't have heated vats for dunking nor drying rooms like they had at the factories. BLO works well for those of us who can wait until that dries and then we can shoot without raw oil oozing out of the woodwork. I know you're happy with the finish on your rifles but most of us won't put a varnish sealer over the top. If my rifle were a canoe paddle I might... then again I might opt for polyurethane.
    2016 Chicago Cubs. MLB Champions!

**Never quite as old as the other old farts**