1. Default Hy Hunter Remington 'Zouave' ?

I’m looking for information on the quality, and fair value of a reproduction Remington 1863 ‘Zouave’ 2 band rifle.

No pictures, but when I saw it a couple of months ago, under the dust, it looked like it just came out of the box. Owner says it was purchased in the early 1960’s.

Barrel marking between rear sight and tang:
    Hy Hunter inc. Firearms Mfg. Co.
    Hollywood, California, U.S.A.

Serial number 1358 marked on:
    Barrel breech left flat, inside trigger guard bow, inside patch box lid, and on stock inside patch box

Stock is a straight grained hardwood with light walnut stain.

Made in Italy marked on the right side of the barrel below the rear sight

Left barrel breech flat also marked HHH

Proof marks on left of breech:
    circled star over PN; star over shield with crossed guns; circled star over FINI10; XVIII

Proof mark on barrel tang: circled star over shield with crossed guns

Italian proof marks per http://www.tiropratico.com/htm/punzoni.htm
    Armi con polvere nera / Canna e Codettone
    Weapons with black powder / barrel and ?????

Prova definitiva a polvere nera
    Definitive black powder test

I appreciate any guidance you can provide.

Try t find a web page for NSSA ( North-South Skirmish assoc.) or National Muzzle loading rifle Assoc.
    Maybe they can provide some insight.

3. Default

The Star in a circle or in a wreath over PN is the first black powder proof Star in a circle or wreath with FINITI is the finish proof marking the gun ready for sale. Both are for the Italian Proof House Gardone & Bresica

The Star over shield with crossed rifles is the Gardone Provisional Proof

XVIII is the proof date (1962), which coincides with the manufacture date, usually within 6 months or closer.

Quote Originally Posted by Mickey Christian View Post
    Try t find a web page for NSSA ( North-South Skirmish assoc.) or National Muzzle loading rifle Assoc.
    Maybe they can provide some insight.

I agree. their forums would be the best place to find a price. http://www.n-ssa.net/vbforum/forum.php AZ shooter is knowledgeable on Itaian repo markings.
    Last edited by free1954; 03-21-2017 at 03:52. Reason: senility

5. Default

I had one for a while, it was nice looking and not expensive. Experimented with different charges of BP and some nice Minie projectiles from Pat Kabosky. Was accurate enough. I found myself shooting my 1863 Springfield more, so I sold it.

Gerry, that goes back. There were a lot of rifled musket repros put forward during the CW centennial, during the first half of the '60s. This is probably one of them. It might be a pretty decent shooter. One way to find out, right?

jn