Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Winchester or was it Western? Western was developing a ball powder for the M1 carbine round during WW2. But I have never found any information on them developing or using a ball power for the 30-06.

2. Default

As of 1935, the company name was Winchester-Western.

Have used both since 1980. Both ball and stick give excellent results when the load is tailored to the rifle. Must say some of the most accurate loads I've ever developed used ball powders. With a progressive press, I prefer to use only ball powders since metering consistency is superior compared to stick powders. JMHO. Sincerely. bruce.
    " Unlike most conservatives, libs have no problem exploiting dead children and dancing on their graves."

I loaded 'stick' powders exclusively for many years, until I finally broke down an brought a Dillon 550 home.....still load stick powders on a single stage, but my big volume 'blowin' up the hillside' loads in the progressive now get 748.

Just so one knows it was Western that owned Winchester. Winchester powders were made for them by Western and sold as Winchester. Again I have not found any reference to Western making a ball powder for 30-06 during WW2.

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Many military rifles have a rate of twist that is a bit fast for boat tail bullets and these rifles shoot better with flat based bullets. The M1 Garand used a 1 in 10 twist and the M14 used a 1 in 12 twist which would work better with the boat tail. I have heard some say oh my rifle likes boat tails and maybe it does but the vast majority don't.
    What you're saying is interesting. When I pulled the bullet from the 1952 RA .30-06 cartridge, I found that it contained stick powder and a flat base 150 gr bullet. I have been shooting .30-06 150 gr FMJ boat tail in the M1917 and the 03-A3 with what I'd call good results in the M1917 but not as good in the 03-A3. My Enfield No. 4 Mk. 1* definitely prefers the flat based bullets. Boat tails come in FMJ but found flat base in soft point, at least so far, still looking. I just bought a box of FMJ-BT for reloading the .30-06 cases. Next time I'll try to find flat base.

I know I have talked about a couple of No 4s that shoot boattails very well. However to clarify in the 20 ish L.E.s I own they are the only two. I have not found a No 1 yet that digested boat tails well. It might be out there but I don't own it.

I use the heck out of Varget, I just like that powder. For the magnums I use Retumbo. I started with H 1000 but struggled to find it and could always find Retumbo, sometimes in 1 pound bottles but I could always find it. Let's hope the short powder days are over for a while.