Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: It spoke to me

Default It spoke to me

Well, they all do, but I bought another 03....Remington,8-42 RA barrel,Sn31699xx....It came in a dingy C stock with an inverted K (Keystone?) in the cutoff well and a most peculiar broad arrow on the foretip....Lend-Lease perhaps? Dark black finish, with a few bright blue parts. Bolt has a R underside of handle, and a squared off safety lug....Any info helpful.....

Pics really help the experts here.

Your Remington 03-A3 rifle was made early in WW2 and may have seen the kind of rough service that made extensive rebuilding necessary. It would be interesting to know the rifle's history.

The S/N 31699xx indicates that it was originally assembled by Remington in 6-42 so it has a later Remington barrel if it is stamped RA 8-42.

Mixed finishes on the mechanical parts probably means that they began life on other rifles. Remington stamped an R on their parts while SC left them blank.

The C stock is a replacement. The K in the cutoff well could have been an inspectors mark. The broad arrow was the British acceptance mark. A photo of it would help to determine if that's what it really is. The US did make lend-lease rifles for the Brits, however they were made by Savage in the US and Longbranch in Canada and were the Enfield No. 4 Mk 1* that fired .303 caliber ammo.

The SRS guys on this forum can tell you if there are any hits on the S/N that would trace the rifle's activities.

Good luck,
    Merc

EI,

The stamped symbol on the fore tip of the stock on my 03-A3 is the flaming bomb. It's very crisp but small making it difficult to see without a magnifying glass or eye loupe.

The stock on my minty 03-A3 was also dingy when I bought it a few weeks for ago. I could see that it was in really good shape with minimal nicks, dings and scratches but the linseed oil finish had turned into a dark sticky coating. After I taped some metal parts and removed others to prevent scuffing, I removed the old linseed oil finish by rubbing the wood gently with 00 steel wool dipped in acetone. Once the old finish was removed, I used dry steel wool to gently polish the wood surfaces to a low luster that revealed the original color and wood grain. I thought about applying another coating of linseed oil but have decided to leave the stock the way it is. What a big difference. I should have taken before and after pics.

Merc
    Last edited by Merc; 07-31-2016 at 07:29.

5. Default

The inverted "K" is Keystone. The non-scalloped safety lug and an "R" stamp at the root of the handle was discussed here before. I had one show up on a purchase and was mystified. I think John said they were really late replacement bolts but I'm not sure. Pictures are always nice.

The serial is too early for an 'A3. I'm seeing 7/42 production 1903 which makes the barrel correct.
    It might have some "modified' features. Pictures would tell the story.

I agree - a correct barrel. The bolt, if described correctly, is a replacement. The serial number is too late for a British Land/lease (Sales) rifle.
    "We make men without chests and expect from them virtue and enterprise. We laugh at honor and are shocked to find traitors in our midst."
    --C.S. Lewis

Mr. Woodman, A nice Remington in a C stock speaks to me as well. The later square lug A3 bolt is fine too!

Default A3 S/N vs 03 S/N

Quote Originally Posted by pickax View Post
    The serial is too early for an 'A3. I'm seeing 7/42 production 1903 which makes the barrel correct.
    It might have some "modified' features. Pictures would tell the story.
    Now I'm confused. According to www.vishooter.net/ra_serialization.txt the serial numbers beginning with 3,000,000 were assigned to A3s. Was this during the period before the term A3 was used? 7-42 is correct, my error on 6-42.
    Last edited by Merc; 07-31-2016 at 06:57.

10. Default

There was an overlap in production of the 1903 at they transitioned into 03-A3 production. You will find some late 1903 Remingtons that show where the boss for the 03-A3 sight was milled off. From memory the 1903 production went into the 3.3 million range, but don't remember closer than that.