Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Paul, did you mean "Thanks Dick", or were you responding to a different post?

2. Default

Quote Originally Posted by psteinmayer View Post
    ...It really is the only fair way to class the match - limited to rifles of Theodore Roosevelt/early National Rifle Match era only. The match was intended to celebrate Roosevelt as the father of the National Matches and the CMP... and as such, really should stick to the rifles that were allowed in that era!
    The original rifles shot at Perry during Roosevelt's (spit) administration were the Krags and low number 1903s. There, I solved the problem. Just allow all Krags and only 1903s made before Noon March 4, 1909.
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 08-17-2016 at 07:42.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Paul, did you mean "Thanks Dick", or were you responding to a different post?
    Naw... I was referring to Culpepper's post. Yours hadn't actually been posted while I was typing my response.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

Quote Originally Posted by CJCulpeper View Post
    The original rifles shot at Perry during Roosevelt's (spit) administration were the Krags and low number 1903s. There, I solved the problem. Just allow all Krags and only 1903s made before Noon March 4, 1909.
    Perfect! Except for one (small) hiccup - that being low numbered 03s are forbidden to be fired at Camp Perry (due to the heat treatment problems and the associated inherent dangers of shooting them).
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

5. Default

Therefore it will be a Krag only match. We will clean up! The logic is infallible and I am unanimous in that.
    Last edited by CJCulpeper; 08-17-2016 at 08:08.
    1."If you would be a real seeker after truth, it is necessary that at least once in your life you doubt, as far as possible, all things." - Rene Descartes
    2. "The Right to Buy Weapons is the Right to be Free" From The Weapon Shop by A. E. van Vogt

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    Loved the video
    LOL Did you notice me having a stove-pipe case at one point? I guess I should pull my bolt back with more gust-o... as my cases just sort of flop out rather than fly. Too used to trying to keep my brass close!

Blog Entries

Turning away paying match fees is not a smart idea. Allowing others to shoot, and be classified as a 1903a3 was the way to go.

Anyone shoot M1893 Mausers?

8. Default

Krags and M1903's (high number, of whatever era and mfg. since there's no real difference between a 1918 RIA, a 1930 SA, or a 1942 RA) was the way to go, allowing for the 6mm Lee as well, if someone has one to shoot. I think they handled it well by allowing 03A3's *this time* and scoring them according to Springfield match rules. Paul, you had that potential (hair-pulling, wild-eyed rant-inducing) stoppage cleared in a split second. As we well know, they don't usually get resolved so quickly. I don't have any of your chargers but those gizmos work very well, as the video clearly shows. Interesting observations Dick Hosmer, but I didn't notice any wasted motion. Not that there wasn't any, it just never seemed so to my non-Taylorist sensibilities. It'd be worthwhile to learn how Scandinavian shooters differ in their approach.

I know Dick, I'm working on using my middle finger while keeping hold of the bolt, and I actually did it for some shots last year, I just haven't done it enough to be fully proficient at it. Maybe next year. I don't do too bad, watch the muzzle of my rifle in the background. I keep it shouldered while working the bolt, and sometimes while recharging.
    Last edited by madsenshooter; 08-17-2016 at 12:42.
    "I have sworn upon the Altar of God, eternity hostility upon all forms of tyranny over the minds of man." - Thomas Jefferson

If you watch those Scandinavians, they are really slick in their approach, and I'm betting that their loads are very mild too! It appears that they trigger with their pinkies and never let go of the bolt handle.

What I need to practice with is keeping my rifle shouldered while cycling the bolt. It's difficult with my torn shoulder though... but I'm getting better at it.