Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Winchester carbine info

Does anyone know what the correct original stock and type of cartouche are for Winchester carbine Ser #1,041,6xx? Also what is date of manufacture? Thanks in advance for the help.

Type 1, I cut high wood stock, with boxed WRA/GHD. It would have been made about March 1943.

Last edited by c-j; 08-06-2016 at 08:36.

c-j, does you early Winchester stock have any letters on the bridge in front of the trigger housing?

Chuck.
    Last edited by chucklamb; 08-13-2016 at 09:44.

Last edited by c-j; 08-14-2016 at 07:06.

Numbers and or letters on the inside of Winchester stocks is normal.

Thanx R. Borecky, c-j, Tuna, that helps me determine the origin of an "I" cut stock I got on a carbine 21 years ago that did not have any other markings anywhere. It evidently was a carbine put together by National Ordnance in 1958 +/- that did not have any Nat.Ord. ID on it. At that time Nat.Ord. used replacement stocks and several other parts made by Winchester* I originally thought it was a Hilerich/Bradsby stock made for Inland because of an early Inland diagonal diamond buttplate and a type 2 inland recoil plate that came with it.

*M1Carbinesinc. "National Ordnance"

Chuck

Most Winchester carbines are marked in the sling well with a small W. It can be very hard to see. Then again some of them were not marked at all in the well. Another way to check if it's a Winchester is the bottom of the stock. Winchester stocks are a bit wider and flatter on the bottom.

Another board member suggested the "I" cut Winchester stocks had a round profile compared to their types 2,3,and 4 stocks. I have not had enough experience with the early stocks. I appreciate the experience and expertise of the members of this board!
    Thanx again.
    Chuck

10. Default

While on the subject of earlier Winchesters...

Would a 1,254,xxx rifle be correct with WRA overGHD no box, oval sling cut?