Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Type 2 oval cut oiler slot with high wood. WRA/GHD no box is correct.

2. Default

Here are pics of my early Winchester ser.# 10472xx , with bbl date of Jan 1943.

40.jpg44.jpg46.jpg48.jpg45.jpg
    Last edited by N8Gunner; 09-15-2017 at 03:17.

That is a real nice Winchester that would date to about February/March 1943 when it was made. You have a gem there.
    Last edited by Tuna; 09-15-2017 at 05:34.

4. Default

That is a real nice Winchester that would date to about February/March 1943 when it was made. You have a gem there.
    Thank you, Tuna.
    Last week I acquired another early Winchester, serial # 11100xx.
    It appears to be all original, with all of its early parts and features, but it has a few issues......
    The "L" marked front sight has had its "ear's" cut off flush, with the sight base.
    The type 1 front band has released,(separates) at it's spot welds, and is missing its original swivel.
    Lastly , the "I" cut high wood stock has had all stampings and cartouche' removed and is coated with a "tru oil" type finish.
    I can't get to it today, but will likely start a new thread tomorrow (Sunday) and post some detailed pics of both carbines , and ask advise,
    particularly on the stock restoration including cartouche restoration that I am considering having done.
    Thanks again !
    Last edited by N8Gunner; 09-16-2017 at 09:30.

5. Default

Serial no. 1,047,2-- seems a little late to have a dated barrel to me. I have two earlier a 1031--- and a 1045--- both with undated WRA barrels.

I have Winchester 1,039,8xx, original, as-issued, with no barrel date. W and Winchester proof are the only barrel markings

When Winchester had problems with receivers that had serial numbers on them they placed those to the side and kept building on good receivers. When they caught up on production they turned to the bad receivers months later and reused the numbers and by that time they no longer were dating barrels.