Thread: Inland Carbine

Default Inland Carbine

Hi, I have a Inland carbine. It Was rebuilt after the war by Underwood, and it is near 100% Parkerized. All the parts show little or no wear. Stock, barrel, receive are Inland. Trigger housing and slide are miss matched. Wound You leave it as is or replace the wrong parts? Would that hurt the value?
    Rich

Actually the parts are not wrong for a rebuild. No attempt was made to keep the original parts together, and depending on the serial number range several new parts were added like the bayonet lug, safety, and rear sight. It would take a lot of money to put it back into it's original configuration, and you would have destroyed a legitimate rebuild.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    Actually the parts are not wrong for a rebuild. No attempt was made to keep the original parts together, and depending on the serial number range several new parts were added like the bayonet lug, safety, and rear sight. It would take a lot of money to put it back into it's original configuration, and you would have destroyed a legitimate rebuild.
    Ditto. I face the same questions with my arsenal rebuilt Winchester. I've left it alone.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

It would depend on a couple of things. As the others have said you need deep pockets and I mean deep for some carbines depending on serial number. The earlier the more expensive. Some will run you up to or even over $4000 just to restore. If your carbine has the adjustable real sight staked in place it doesn't make sense to try and restore it as the deep stake marks will always be there. Then there is the type 3 barrel band with the lug on it. It leaves a distinct marking on a barrel if you remove it and it's always there. So take the others good advise and enjoy it as it is. It will most likely shoot better too with the rebuild updates on it.

Default Carbine

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    It would depend on a couple of things. As the others have said you need deep pockets and I mean deep for some carbines depending on serial number. The earlier the more expensive. Some will run you up to or even over $4000 just to restore. If your carbine has the adjustable real sight staked in place it doesn't make sense to try and restore it as the deep stake marks will always be there. Then there is the type 3 barrel band with the lug on it. It leaves a distinct marking on a barrel if you remove it and it's always there. So take the others good advise and enjoy it as it is. It will most likely shoot better too with the rebuild updates on it.
    I will leave it as is. It looks great and shoots great. barrel measures ''1''. The people at Underwood did a fine job when they did the rework. The trigger group is all Winchester M1, the slide is Quality Hardware type II, all the parts are like new. It also has the serial number stamped on the butt from the I.D.F. It has been around and back again.
    Rich
    Phillip M are you in Mississippi? I can almost hit the gulf with a rock, Biloxi.
    Last edited by Richardrose; 07-31-2016 at 08:40.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Richardrose View Post
    I will leave it as is. It looks great and shoots great. barrel measures ''1''. The people at Underwood did a fine job when they did the rework. The trigger group is all Winchester M1, the slide is Quality Hardware type II, all the parts are like new. It also has the serial number stamped on the butt from the I.D.F. It has been around and back again.
    Rich
    Phillip M are you in Mississippi? I can almost hit the gulf with a rock, Biloxi.
    Behind the wire in Jackson! My Winchester has an Inland trigger group. Maybe we should talk, lol!
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by PhillipM View Post
    Behind the wire in Jackson! My Winchester has an Inland trigger group. Maybe we should talk, lol!
    Hi, The housing is WINCHESTER, Hammer is W.A. Walt arsenal ?, Trigger is not marked ? All parts are like new. no pits or rust, 100% parkerized.
    I would consider a trade.
    Rich

8. Default

Both Inland and Winchester both used several different types of triggerhousing during their 4 years of manufacturing. A late Inland part in a early Inland would be no more correct than would be a Winchester part in it.

Blog Entries

I'm keeping it as is, thank you for the offer.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)