1. Default An opportunity for field tested front sights for the .45-70 Trapdoor

I've been working with a friend who is a machinist.
    One of the machines he has at work is an EDM.
    I gave him a drawing based on my field tests at 100 yards with the original .45-70 Type 3 Front sight.
    Based on this drawing, he made me a few stainless steel prototypes that I again went out and field tested.

Now, most of you know the Trapdoor really starts sight in at 200 yards. I wanted to customize the front sight for 100 yards. The end result was 5 packages of 'finished' Titanium front sights for an extremely low price for the set of 4, and free shipping, if you'd like one. Paul gets the profits.He only made 5 sets to make it worth the electricity of the machine running, and I own one set! shoot me an email if interested. sportsdad60@gmail.com

The .350 is the best overall front sight. This front sight combined with the peep hole on the Buffington sight just below the 200 yd mark puts the 405 grain bullet pretty much spot on. When using 500 grain bullets at 100 yards, one must bump the rear sight up to the "200" mark to hit near bull at 100yd. Then incremental from there. (200 yds, bump the rear sight up to 300 yds.)

This makes a nice compromise between a range shooter (typically 50-100 yds) to a long distance shooters (2000 yds is the max for the Buffington sights) by simply adding 100 yards to the Buffing sight.
    Naturally you'd use the taller sights (.400 and .450) for closer range shooting.

My email is sportsdad60@gmail.com.
    Pics attached: A package of 4 titanium EDM-cut front sights suitable for Type 2, Type 3 and Type 4 -established Model 1873 Trapdoors. These will polish up nice and shiny if you want to but I prefer them "Cut color" as they closely match my barrel.

2nd pic is my field test results using the .350 sight at 100 yards (marked 200 on the Buffington peep sight) with 500 gr reloads.
    If this post isn't cool to the Admin/mods, no worries, just remove it. I want to give some Trapdoor enthusiasts a great deal for variable height front sights. There are only 5 packages.

Last edited by Sportsdad60; 07-29-2016 at 08:51.

2. Default

In case you wanted to know how this front blade thickness looks through the peep, I thought I'd share this photo. One gentleman here asked about the thickness.
    There are now 2 sets left. (But my gunsmith would make more if there is a desire. They are $35.00 for a set of 4 variable height)

Front Sight through Peep Sight.jpg

I did pretty much the same only I cut mine out brass stock in different heights. I used the profile of the original sight blade. I have 4 sights too and can change them out in just minutes. Oh, and I used brass blackener as a finish.

4. Default

Very nice MT.
    It's comforting to know I wasn't the first with the idea.

The former owner of my rifle was using a 1903A3 front sight and it was too high!

Thus my journey to find the right front sight for under 200 yards.

5. Default

Sportsdad, can you please save a set for me? I'd like to hook up with you next week to buy, but I'm on the road this weekend. By the way, I'm the guy who left you the message from Seattle. For some reason I cannot access that link. Anyway, thanks.

Cliff

6. Default

Cliff, if Paul Notch (Gunsmith, Notch's Iron Works) sells the sets he has, I have an extra that I was going to hold for an RSO at the gun club but I've not seen this RSO for quite some time, so consider it yours.
    FWIW, I am in the Lake Tapps area, and if our locations are too distanced, I can throw them in the mail and you can send Paul a check.

Today I am testing the theory out at the 200 yd range during the Garand Action shoot. If I've done my math, setting the Buffington to 300 yard mark *should* put the 405 grain bullets on paper at 200 yds distance.

Edit: Just saw the email, looks like you and Paul have something worked out.
    Let me know if you need anything further.
    Brian
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 08-07-2016 at 07:21.

7. Default

Had a Garand shoot today. I was the only trapdoor.

8 competitors total, 7 Garands and my lonely little Trapdoor.

My theory worked out! I'm grouping okay with the Buffington set at 300 yds for the 200 yd range with the higher custom front sight.

200 yd range, using CMP score sheet.

Positions: Standing (slow) Sitting/Kneeling (Slow, Rapid) Prone (Slow, Rapid)

5 warm up shots for me including a lot of dry fire with an empty shell striking spent primer.(Photo of practice shots prior to event)

Well, I didn't come in last! Using the target photo below as reference I had the following totals:
    50 shots fired:
    4 shots inside the 10 Ring (and 1 direct bullseye, the only one of the day!) -40 pts
    11 shots inside the 9 Ring- 99 pts
    8 shots inside the 8 Ring- 64 pts
    3 shots inside the 7 Ring- 21 pts
    6 shots inside the 6 Ring- 36 pts
    2 shots inside the 5 Ring- 10 pts
    16 shots on white paper outside the rings.-0 pts.
    270 total.
    One shooter had 267 (Lowest) and the highest score was 354. All garands except my rifle.

My best shots were standing believe it or not, my worse was rapid fire although I did not get through 10 shots in 60 seconds. It took me 87 seconds to get through 10 shots.

All in all, I was very pleased with the first time out with my 405 gr Missouri Bullets with AA5744 smokeless at 200 yds. I feel with time I can improve the above scores.

I may do black powder cartridges with 500 gr bullets next month!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Sportsdad60; 08-07-2016 at 01:24.

Great start!

Just think - all in the rings (which is entirely possible if you are a good offhand shot) would give you an 80-pt. boost.

From rest, a good (bore/load/shooter combo) TD should easily hold the black at that range. Give those M1 guys something to think about!!

9. Default

Dick,
    I think I made the feller next to me nervous during the offhand standing, my target was next to his and I had 2 x 10's in that round one of those being an "X" bullseye. He ended up scoring less than I did and he's one of the better Garand shooters!
    I'll get better with it! It is certainly different than bench shooting!

10. Default

Just an FYI, all 5 sets sold pretty quickly.
    2 reports back, both shooters settled on the .350 sight (which actually calipers out at .343 due to the thickness of the EDM wire that cuts the titanium.

If you want a set, you will have to contact Paul at notchironworks@gmail.com
    He is a gunsmith and a machinist (I used to be a machinist but moved on to another career)