Default Anybody else shoot the CMP Carbine match?

I've never been impressed with the M1 Carbine. Shooting one in competition, I think I know how it would feel to participate in Drag Races between a bunch of Ford Pintos. I've tested several domestic and foreign types of ammo, and can't find any that shoot decently.

Have you only been shooting the FMJ ammo? If so try some soft point ammo. Generally the SP ammo will shoot quite a bit better groups then FMJ rounds. Most of my carbines will shoot groups of 2 inches at 100 yards IF I do my part and the ammo is good. I have had a couple that no matter what would not group under 4 inches or more. Just a reminder that the receiver has to be snug into the recoil plate. If it's not a good fit then replace the recoil plate with a type 3 plate. If the plate and receiver are not mated tight the carbine will not shoot at it's best.

Blog Entries

I suck at carbine matches probably because I'm left handed and there is no way to sling up lefty. I should probably bite the bullet and just shoot right handed. The CMP has a good white paper on how to improve carbine accuracy. Tuna is spot on
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

I used the carbine in NRA Sporting Rifle matches and had very good luck shooting my home brew using the Hornady 100 SJ's. Unfortunately my experience in slinging up the carbine was that even a reasonably tight sling would pull the muzzle off center. Of course there's just no way you can compete against tricked out AR's & MI-A's in such matches, although I did place Hi score in the slow fire off hand section several times.

"...there is no way to sling up lefty..." Yes, there is. Use a cloth sling for starters and adjust its length to fit underneath the forestock. Been shooting all kinds of battle rifles, SMG's and MG's left for eons. Adapt and overcome in our backwards world. snicker.
    Like Tuna says, use better ammo. Milsurp ball is not target ammo. Hand loaded 110 grain SP's or HP's can be astonishingly accurate. Mine is partial to IMR4227. Mind you, the Carbine can't be a work out pile of parts.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...there is no way to sling up lefty..." Yes, there is. Use a cloth sling for starters and adjust its length to fit underneath the forestock. Been shooting all kinds of battle rifles, SMG's and MG's left for eons. Adapt and overcome in our backwards world. snicker.
    Like Tuna says, use better ammo. Milsurp ball is not target ammo. Hand loaded 110 grain SP's or HP's can be astonishingly accurate. Mine is partial to IMR4227. Mind you, the Carbine can't be a work out pile of parts.
    I'll try. I have a metric ton of carbine ammo I loaded up with H110 I need to shoot up, then I'll try the 4227. My best carbine is what appears to be a fresh from rebuild Winchester I bought in 1991.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Tuna View Post
    Have you only been shooting the FMJ ammo? If so try some soft point ammo. Generally the SP ammo will shoot quite a bit better groups then FMJ rounds. Most of my carbines will shoot groups of 2 inches at 100 yards IF I do my part and the ammo is good. I have had a couple that no matter what would not group under 4 inches or more. Just a reminder that the receiver has to be snug into the recoil plate. If it's not a good fit then replace the recoil plate with a type 3 plate. If the plate and receiver are not mated tight the carbine will not shoot at it's best.
    I will try some Soft Point ammo.