Default Romanian AK won't function with Chinese ammo

I have a Romanian AK (7.62x39) that I purchased from Century arms. It was a cheapy and probably a parts gun so I knew I was going to have to fine tune it. Anyway, it functions fine with Wolf ammo and all other 7.62x39 ammo EXCEPT the damn copper washed Chinese ammo that I have a ton of. It fails to extract the fired case and then strips a fresh round off of the magazine and tries to feed it into the chamber. I have changed out the extractor spring but that made no difference. I have ordered a new extractor and will try that. Anyone have a similar experience?
    Read, think, UNDERSTAND, comment

That's disheartening.

The extractors on those things are massive and I suspect that may be defective. I haven't shot any of the ChiCom in years but I'm going to try to dig up some and try it in mine. I'll let you know how it runs with it.

Is it a Wasr 10-63?

Quote Originally Posted by Major Tom View Post
    Is it a Wasr 10-63?
    I am not familiar with that designation. I just received a new extractor (Polish NOS). It looks like the original one was worn compared to the new one. I will install it tonight, and shoot it on Friday. I will let you guys know what happens.

I dug through my stash of 7.62x39 and found one box of the ChiCom Norinco copper wash, which of course was at the bottom. Went to the range today and took my Romanian WASR-10 AK clone along and pumped the 20 rounds through it. No failures to feed, extract or eject. The gun ran like clockwork, just like always. Sounds like its a problem peculiar to your gun. I suspect from you posts the new extractor may well fix the problem; if not, let us know.
    Last edited by Art; 07-30-2016 at 03:27.

OK, just back from the range after installing a new extractor and the gun "churned and burned" through everything I fed it. Just like the way they are supposed to. I was somewhat flummoxed because I had NEVER seen an AK malfunction until I bought mine. I did notice the rim on the Chinese stuff appears to be thicker than the others, but I am not sure. Anyway I am glad to have the problem fixed. Thanks for everyone's feedback.

A Romanian WASR 10-63. That would be stamped on the receiver's side. Mine was made in 1986.