Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
  1. Default Lee Vertical Action-question for Dick Hosmer

Not a trapdoor, but close. I have a very nice Lee that I disassembled years ago to look at the number (43) as I recall. Dick said there was another place to check the serial number on these rifles. Could you please tell me again? Thank you.

Glad to - the hammer/breechblock combo has a (tiny) pair of matching numbers, on the right side. This is easily viewable by removing the assembly. The other number is on the side of the one-piece trigger-guard, which - on a "very nice" specimen, I'd just take for granted, rather than to risk popping a chip off the edge of the mortise.

In my opnion, the Lee was a very under-rated arm. Cadet length OA, but with a full 32.6" barrel, massively strong, and lightning fast to operate. Most survivng Lees are in very nice condition; I've only seen one truly rough one (and it was a dog).

M1875 Lee Rifle OA.jpg
    Last edited by Dick Hosmer; 07-25-2016 at 07:25.

Blog Entries

Only 143 made?
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

That's it! $10,000 was appropriated for its' trial, but, after making up the tooling, only a limited amount was left for production.

Only one source, the official 1878 Ordnance Dept. pamphlet, "Manufactures at National Armory. 1872-1877", disagrees - they say 145.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Hosmer View Post
    That's it! $10,000 was appropriated for its' trial, but, after making up the tooling, only a limited amount was left for production.

Only one source, the official 1878 Ordnance Dept. pamphlet, "Manufactures at National Armory. 1872-1877", disagrees - they say 145.
    Manufacturing report for FY1875 agrees with the 145 figure.

Of the $10K appropriated, $8,622.11 was spent.

Blog Entries

Interesting design. I don't see why he didn't sell them commercially.

https://youtu.be/fmMPQDlIB80
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

What an amazing and innovative design! Shame that more weren't manufactured!
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

8. Default

Hi Dick
    I took the rifle apart a long time ago. Have not seen it in awhile. Is taking the breech block and hammer out much of a task? Can you remind me how I did it?

Thanks

Basically, twist the pin, pull it out, and then wiggle the hammer assembly up and out (uncocked of course) while pulling the trigger. The extractor lays loose in the breech cavity - make sure you note where/how it is placed, before reassembling.

Too bad no one is making those as replicas. I'd buy one in a heartbeat. Or maybe two heartbeats.

jn