Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Are 03-A3 F. Sight Protectors Usefull?

I just bought a really nice 1943 03-A3 that's in really nice shape and shoots very well. There's something that I'd like to know based on the experience of other 03-A3 owners who shoot their rifles.

The front sight protector is missing on my rifle. I noticed that very few photos on the internet show any 03-A3s with front site protectors so it's a common condition and no big deal

I took the 03-A3 and my M1917 to the range and had no trouble visually acquiring the target with the M1917 because the ears of the front sight protector frames the sight blade perfectly. On the other hand, without a front sight protector, the front sight blade on the 03-A3 sorta blends in with the target and makes it more difficult to visually acquire the target.

I know this is a really minor complaint, but I'd like to hear from anyone out there who thinks likewise and bought themselves a protector for the same reason. Did it work?

Merc

The basic problem with the 03A3 front sight is that it is so thin, compared with, say an M1917.

The front sight protector is just what its name implies -- a device to protect the front sight. There WERE units that shot with the protector in place, but no one has ever claimed that improved (or detracted from) shooting accuracy.

If you have difficulty seeing the front sight in dim light, do what I did -- I put a blob of epoxy on the tip of the front sight and zeroed with it in place. Once I had it properly zeroed, I painted the blob white.

Quote Originally Posted by Vern Humphrey View Post
    The basic problem with the 03A3 front sight is that it is so thin, compared with, say an M1917.

The front sight protector is just what its name implies -- a device to protect the front sight. There WERE units that shot with the protector in place, but no one has ever claimed that improved (or detracted from) shooting accuracy.

If you have difficulty seeing the front sight in dim light, do what I did -- I put a blob of epoxy on the tip of the front sight and zeroed with it in place. Once I had it properly zeroed, I painted the blob white.
    Great idea. I'll have to try it.

Merc

In a word...NO. On my front sight blade I epoxied a 1/8" dia. brass hollow rod to the rear of the blade. Brass tube was filed down in halve lenght wise and trimmed to same height as blade and painted flat black.

Remember too that the military of the bolt action era typically used a "six o'clock" hold on the target black, NOT a "center of mass" hold. With a six o'clock hold, the target black looks like a big black ball perched squarely atop the front site blade, there's excellent definition. Of course using a six o'clock hold means that the point of impact of the bullet is always higher than point of aim. The black target centers (for rifle OR pistol) were originally designed to be used with the six o'clock hold. My club has a HUGE stock of the WWII era 5-V rifle targets which are still in excellent condition. We sell them to members for 50 cents and include a round, 6" florescent orange center for those shooters who would rather use a "center of mass" hold. Rather than modify your front sight, you might want to simply acquire similar colored "centers" of appropriate diameter to place on your black target centers. Generic "stickers" of that type are available from a number of sources and are inexpensive. For some reason the florescent green ones seem to work best with my "older" eyes. You can also buy .5" wide rolls of like colored tape. Rip off small bits to plug your bullet holes to GREATLY extend the life of your targets.

By far the largest problem is sight alignment. The aperture sight works great because of the ability of the eye to subconsciously seek the center of a circle. When you look through the aperture of the rear receiver sight your eye automatically centers the post of the front sight without the sight protector. The front sight of the 03-A3 is taller than the 1903 front sight, and is not centered in the circle of the sight protector when installed. With the sight protector installed your eye now tries to center the circle of the sight protector in the aperture of the rear sight rather than ignoring it and centering the front sight blade. You have to consciously try and ignore the circle of the sight protector and concentrate on the front sight blade.

The post in a circle is a popular target front sight, but the post must be centered in the circle.

Also, the front sight protector removes a small amount of finish each time it is installed and removed.

Blog Entries

Johnny P is correct. The blade nearly touches the top of the hood. Somewhere I read they were not to be used when firing, and after trying it, I see why.

Bill Bentz makes a reproduction of the wider, undercut, USMC sights, which may better suit your needs.
    Last edited by PhillipM; 07-24-2016 at 07:43.
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

8. Default

I will second Bill Bentz. He makes quality USMC style thicker front sight blades for 03 and 03A3 rifles along with the USMC rear peep slide for the 03. Also the USMC front sight protector which is taller then the standard 03 sight protector for the taller USMC 03 front sight blade. Also works well on 03A3 rifles, giving a better sight picture.

The last set of USMC 03 front and rear sights I ordered, I asked that he make the yardage marker a little deeper on the rear peep sight, as I intended to paint it white to make it easier to see for my aging eyes. When I got the set, Mr Bentz had not only made the marker deeper, but had painted it also. No extra cost to me.

Always a gentleman to do business with.
    Last edited by bonnie; 07-24-2016 at 08:38.

Early on in my collecting, and shooting at a vintage match here and there, I tried to use the front sight protector installed. It moves, first off, rotating around, so it's always closer to the post on one side or the other. Add that to an "A" height front sight, that just about touches the protector, and it's an obstruction, a hindrance..... Get one of Bentz' front posts, and if you NEED a front aperture sight, get the 17a Lyman, Redfield, or any of the other equivalent target sights.
    The 03 and A3 sights CAN be adjusted to hit 'point of aim', and it's the way to go for shooting tiny critters, soda cans, even big game where precision shot placement is necessary. The six o'clock hold was used so that a soldier could aim at an opponent's belt buckle, and with that aiming point, just about guarantee a torso hit out to just shy of 550 yards.
    Ya just gotsta remember how you sighted in the rifle the last time you had 'er out!

DW,

Thanks for the advice. I've had my 'A3 to the range only once and probably will need a few more sessions to figure out how to use the existing front sight.

I noticed that the front sight protector simply slides over the front sight without pins or screws to hold it in place. It looks like it was a temporary fix or an afterthought. They cheapened the sling swivels by using stampings and I guess the sight protector was considered unnecessary until the sight blades started getting bent because they're so thin.

I won't use a protector since installing it would mar the Parked finish on the existing front sight.

Merc