Default S&W model 1917 revolver assistance

I am a little confused on which number is the serial number and which is the Army service number for record keeping.
    I'm going to try and post a few reduced pics to help. I have read several posts and articles but I need some clarification.
    If anyone can straighten this out for me I'd sure appreciate the help.DSCN1169.jpgDSCN1165 r.JPGDSCN1171.jpgDSCN1176.JPGDSCN1170a.jpg

All of the parts with the 17712 are the serial number on the revolver. The number 8313 is an assemble number and the S an inspection stamp. The official Army number is the serial number on the butt.

Tuna,
    Thanks. I saw one writing a while back now, where the fellow said the number on the butt was the Army number but not the serial number. That's all I could remember so I thought I'd better ask.
    I've been going through things and making sure I have all the info correctly listed for those that have to sort things out when I'm gone. Hopefully I still have a lot of years left. Just get it done while I have time.
    Last edited by duke133; 07-22-2016 at 12:46.

The Colt Model 1917 continued to be serial numbered in the New Service serial number range under the crane, with the military serial number was on the butt of the pistol. S&W did not continue the serial number of the 2nd Model Hand Ejector series, and the serial number on the butt is the serial number.

Johnny P,
    That is probably where the confusion was. Mixed the Colt with the S&W model.
    Thanks.