Quote Originally Posted by slamfire View Post
A thread in another forum had a copy of an Oct 1945 American Rifleman article "Why the Winchester Model 95 was Discontinued". The first and foremost reason was lack of sales. A number of M95's were blown up by WW1 veterans chambering 8mm rounds in their 30-06 rifles. Another article said tested pressures of 8mm's in 30-06 M1895's were between 90,000 psia and 120,000 psia. Such pressures would burst the Win M95. Winchester claimed that the rifle got a reputation of being unsafe and that affected sales, and so it was discontinued. The article said chambering an 8mm round was difficult in a 30-06 M1895, but, obvious where there is a will, there is a way.

I am still skeptical of the claims that any American WW1 unit was using German 8mm in their M1903's.
I understand that cartridges hotter than 30-40 Krag or .303 British were tough on the Model 95, but did not hear that they were unsafe. I do know that the Russian Army bought a bunch of Model 95 military rifles complete with full length stocks, charger guides and bayonet lugs. They were used through both World Wars though in a rear echelon role and the .76x254r was every bit as hot as the early 20th century .30-06 loads. I actually saw one of these rifles once, it had been "rode hard and put up wet" but was still waaaaaay out of my price range. I suspect that the superiority of the bolt action repeater along with the wear the hotter cartridges would put on the '95 both were considerations in its demise.