Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default "low numbered" M1903's and German 8mm ammo

With the 100th anniversary of the US entrance into WW1 I have been re-reading a few books that are personal accounts of American participants. Two that I have enjoyed are “Make the Kaiser Dance”, by Henry Berry and “Doughboy War” edited by James Hallis. In the latter, there were a number of references to the book, “I Remember the Last War” by Bob Hoffman. Hoffman was a Sergeant in Co. A, 111th Inf Reg., 28th Division. For those of you who might have lifted weights many years ago, Bob Hoffman was better known as the US Olympic weight lifting coach, York Barbell founder and publisher of “Strength and Health” and “Muscular Development” magazines.
    When Hoffman’s unit went to France in 1918 they were trained in a British camp. “We were equipped at this camp with British rifles which were somewhat different from the Springfields we had in the beginning of the war and the Enfields we used later”.
    The last portion of his book describes his experiences in Fismette, France. They were short of food, water and ammunition. “…had to be careful of their ammunition for one never knew when we would get any more. The hand grenades and German ammunition we had found were brought up to the lines. It would fit our guns [!]. Later he continues “Fortunately, we could use their ammunition, and the potato-masher grenades were of considerable use to us.”
    It would be interesting to know if Co. A, 111th Inf was using the M1903 or the M1917, or both, and if they really did fire the 8 mm German rifle round in their rifles due to shortage of .30-06 ammo. Having looked at the listings of failed, “low number” M1903 receivers, at least 4 in the 1920’s (according to Hatcher) were caused by using an 8mm round.
    I wonder how many other Doughboys thought that the German 8mm round could be used in a .30-06 rifle? If they did, were they lucky or WIA or KIA?
    Thought this might be of interest to “low number” ’03 collectors and WW1 history buffs. Hoffman’s book is a very interesting read. I paid $50 for an original 1940 copy a few years ago. It is now available from Amazon on Kindle and reprint. I wish he had included his experiences in the Argonne.

Quote Originally Posted by Chuck Russell View Post
    With the 100th anniversary of the US entrance into WW1 I have been re-reading a few books that are personal accounts of American participants. Two that I have enjoyed are “Make the Kaiser Dance”, by Henry Berry and “Doughboy War” edited by James Hallis. In the latter, there were a number of references to the book, “I Remember the Last War” by Bob Hoffman. Hoffman was a Sergeant in Co. A, 111th Inf Reg., 28th Division. For those of you who might have lifted weights many years ago, Bob Hoffman was better known as the US Olympic weight lifting coach, York Barbell founder and publisher of “Strength and Health” and “Muscular Development” magazines.
    When Hoffman’s unit went to France in 1918 they were trained in a British camp. “We were equipped at this camp with British rifles which were somewhat different from the Springfields we had in the beginning of the war and the Enfields we used later”.
    The last portion of his book describes his experiences in Fismette, France. They were short of food, water and ammunition. “…had to be careful of their ammunition for one never knew when we would get any more. The hand grenades and German ammunition we had found were brought up to the lines. It would fit our guns [!]. Later he continues “Fortunately, we could use their ammunition, and the potato-masher grenades were of considerable use to us.”
    It would be interesting to know if Co. A, 111th Inf was using the M1903 or the M1917, or both, and if they really did fire the 8 mm German rifle round in their rifles due to shortage of .30-06 ammo. Having looked at the listings of failed, “low number” M1903 receivers, at least 4 in the 1920’s (according to Hatcher) were caused by using an 8mm round.
    I wonder how many other Doughboys thought that the German 8mm round could be used in a .30-06 rifle? If they did, were they lucky or WIA or KIA?
    Thought this might be of interest to “low number” ’03 collectors and WW1 history buffs. Hoffman’s book is a very interesting read. I paid $50 for an original 1940 copy a few years ago. It is now available from Amazon on Kindle and reprint. I wish he had included his experiences in the Argonne.
    I don't remember trying to chamber an 8 mm Mauser in a M1903, maybe someone can tell us how hard that is to do. My father was a WW2 veteran and he had a story about the Japanese. He, and other WW2 vets, would in all seriousness repeat a story they had been told, and that was the Japanese had been planning to go to war against the US and being forward thinking, chambered their service rifles in a larger caliber than the 30-06. Because their rifles took a larger caliber round they could shoot 30-06 ammunition in their rifle, but of course, we could not shoot Japanese ammunition in our rifles. This was totally bogus as I tried to get a 30-06 round in a 7.7 Arisaka and it won't fit in the magazine and I could not close the bolt.

Memory is quite inexact and it is very possible the author you quote, remembered something that did not actually happen. I do not know if it takes a mallet to chamber an 8mm Mauser in a M1903 or M1917 chamber, but if it does, it is unlikely that shooting German service rifle ammunition in American service rifles was a common practice. It would be a highly dangerous practice if the case neck of the 8mm cartridge was pinched. This would be similar to a bore obstruction and would likely burst the case. In fact, the tin coating on the bullets of the called 1921 NM ammunition created a dangerous condition by cold welding to the case neck. The intermetallic bond was such that the case neck did not expand to release the bullet. Months before the 1921 National Matches, Townsend Whelen wrote in the Arms and the Man descriptions of tearing cases apart in an attempt to pull bullets from the tin can ammunition. Recently a NRA technical expert said the NRA has a collection of fired bullets from the 1921 NM and these bullets all have case necks attached! Of course rifles blew up at the 1921 National Matches with the tin can ammunition, the Army did not acknowledge the problem was of their making, in fact claimed that the ammunition was perfectly safe. Regardless, case head rupture is very bad in any M1903 because these things don't handle gas well. I do remember Micheal Petrov fired 8mm Mauser cartridges in a couple of low number receivers, and apparently, the actions held. He removed the pictures before I could see them and I don't remember any specifics from his stunt.

I would suggest to those who say it is safe to fire 8mm Mauser cartridges in M1903's, or worse, low number actions, to go to the range and shoot around 50 rounds of 8mm Mauser in their low number 03's and tell us the results. Actual tests are worth a thousand philosophical speculations.
    Last edited by slamfire; 07-21-2016 at 05:27.

you cannot fire a 8mm Mauser or 7.7 Jap out of a 1903 or 1917. Both rounds are shorter than the 30-06. You can use 30-06 brass to make 7.7 or 8mm brass all it takes is trimming and reforming by moving the shoulder back.
    When the debate is lost, slander becomes the tool of the loser, Socrates

I own three M1903s. I have tried several flavors of 7.92x57mm ball in them to see if I could get the bolt to close on them, well no joy on that; it wasn't even close. I suppose there is someone out there with the arms of a gorilla who crammed the Mauser round into an '03 chamber because I understand it has been done but you would have to work real, real hard at it.

The 7.7x58 mm round for the Type 99 Arisaka was in fact modeled after the .303 British round. This was done because the japs wanted to approximate the performance of the Enfield rifle. As Dragonfly stated, you can't chamber and fire a 7.7x58 round out of a 1903 because of the difference in case length. The same is true in reverse, as a 30-06 round is too long to chamber in a Type 99. The same is also true for the 8mm round. In addition, some have had their Type 99s rechambered for 30-06, and while this solves the problem of a lack of ammo for the Jap rifle, the difference in bullet diameter prevents usable accuracy.
    "I was home... What happened? What the Hell Happened?" - MM1 Jacob Holman, USS San Pablo

I have an old green and red box of commercial Remington 8mm Mauser ammunition that will chamber in a 1903. In a discussion of the failures reported by Hatcher I dug out the box, and while it doesn't chamber freely, only slight pressure on the bolt handle is needed.

P1010088 (1).jpg FA 18, .30-06 left; S67 MW 3 18, 8mm right

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I have an old green and red box of commercial Remington 8mm Mauser ammunition that will chamber in a 1903. In a discussion of the failures reported by Hatcher I dug out the box, and while it doesn't chamber freely, only slight pressure on the bolt handle is needed.
    Remington, and the other commercial U.S. companies loaded bullets for the old Winchester .32 Special in their 8mm Mauser ammunition. These bullets are slightly smaller .321" than the 7.92mm Mauser which is .323" to .324." They work fine though, just loaded very light, just a bit over .30-30 Winchester velocities. The Remington's are also seated deeper in the case. For an accurate comparison you should use either European commercial or 7.92 mm military ball. See if those chamber in your '03.
    Last edited by Art; 07-22-2016 at 01:23.

A thread in another forum had a copy of an Oct 1945 American Rifleman article "Why the Winchester Model 95 was Discontinued". The first and foremost reason was lack of sales. A number of M95's were blown up by WW1 veterans chambering 8mm rounds in their 30-06 rifles. Another article said tested pressures of 8mm's in 30-06 M1895's were between 90,000 psia and 120,000 psia. Such pressures would burst the Win M95. Winchester claimed that the rifle got a reputation of being unsafe and that affected sales, and so it was discontinued. The article said chambering an 8mm round was difficult in a 30-06 M1895, but, obvious where there is a will, there is a way.

I am still skeptical of the claims that any American WW1 unit was using German 8mm in their M1903's.

10. Default

The last receiver failure listed by Hatcher was 801548, from firing a German service cartridge in it.