Thread: Krag peep sight mounting screw needed

Default Krag peep sight mounting screw needed

I know this is not the buy/sell forum, but I figured to get a more focused audience....
    Picked up a peep sight for a Krag and a modified cutoff pin. Hoping someone here could help.
    Thanks,
    Mickey

'Mickey': A photo of what you have would allow others to help you.

There were many different after-market 'peep' sights for the U.S. Krags. Redfield (earlier called Western) and Pacific made 'no-drill' models.

Sorry...can't post pics. I did not realize that there were so many different sights. The sight IS a Western unit. I was told that replacing the screw that holds on the side plate with a longer screw is what I nee. Apparently one of the 1903 swivel screws could be cut off to work, but I do not have any of those. The rear of the sight has a small bracket that would hold a cut off rod with the lever removed, but I do not want to damage the only one of those I have.

Does any one have a 1903 sling swivel screw they could afford to part with?
    Thanks,
    Mickey

'Mickey' - The Western name was changed to Redfield, due to threats of a lawsuit from Winchester-Western.

I presume your Western sight is identical to the Redfield #102-K. This sight is held in place on the Krag action by a lengthened side-plate screw and a sheet-metal hook, that utilizes the cut-off lever hole.

Early installation instructions directed that the cut-off be removed and simply discarded. This created some roughness in the feed of cartridges as the .30-40 case rims moved across the cut-off opening in the left receiver wall.

Eventually, Redfield instructions advised cutting the lever off of the cut-off shaft and inserting just the shaft back into the hole. (Note - This requires that the 'flat' area of the shaft be properly oriented, otherwise, cartridges will be blocked).

A substitute shaft can be made from a piece of suitably sized nail. (Hint - An easier solution may be just to smooth out the 'trough' in the receiver wall by filling it in with some JB-Weld, which can always be removed, later, if necessary).

The side-plate, rear barrel-band, and stacking-swivel screws on the Krag are .187" X 26 threads per inch. The same swivel-screw threads are used on the 1903 Springfield. Original or reproduction swivel screws are commonly available on eBay.

To work with the Western/Redfield 'no-drill' sight, the Krag or Springfield swivel screw has to be shortened. Also, because these screws are only partially threaded, the shank, between the threaded area and the screw 'head', has to be reduced in diameter to allow the screw to adequately enter the receiver wall.

Attached photo shows Krag side-plate screw, Redfield replacement screw, '03 Springfield swivel-screw, and reproduction swivel-screw altered to work. (Note - The tips of Springfield & Krag swivel-screws were often 'mushroomed' to keep them from loosening. This deformation is removed when screw is shortened).

IMG_5227.JPGIMG_5225.JPG

Thanks for the reply and pics. That is my sight except the side adjustment screw head is different.
    The info you have provided will be very helpful, thanks.
    Sincerely,
    Mickey

I suspect your "Western", 'no-drill', sight looks like this one, with a heavier coin-slot screw.

John H. Redfield started manufacturing gunsights in 1909 under the name "Western Gunsight Company". The company name was changed to "Redfield Gunsight Company" in the late 1920s.

krg-rf-westrn2.jpgkrg-rf-westrn1.jpg
    Last edited by butlersrangers; 07-22-2016 at 09:49.

Yes Sir that is the one.
    Thanks again,
    Mickey