Central California at the southend of Yosemite

Default Winchester Model 1906 serial number question

Many years ago I acquired a Winchester Model 1906 from my wife's Grandfathers things. It has a Redfield scope, tang sight and is about 80 percent. According to the Blue Book serialization it was made in 1924. Serial Number 6403xxB. The "B" is my question, I find no mention of a suffix being added. Looking to you knowledgeable folks for help. Thanks

2. Default

Madis puts it near the end of '26, but no mention of suffixes.

Thanks, I just found two more sights that say 1926. I wasn't here quite yet to confirm or deny. I found a vague reference to a model 52a that said the suffixes referred to upgrades but that is very iffy. Haven't found reference to upgrades or variations after some earlier guns.

I believe the info by Dick is correct. If a change was significant enough, a letter suffix was added and with another significant change the letter was changed.

5. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Johnny P View Post
    I believe the info by Dick is correct. If a change was significant enough, a letter suffix was added and with another significant change the letter was changed.
    That's what Winchester did with the M. '85, when the flat mainspring was replaced with a coil spring. So a "B" suffix would indicate two subsequent revisions to the original '06 design.

6. Default

Quote Originally Posted by Dick Craig View Post
    I found a vague reference to a model 52a that said the suffixes referred to upgrades but that is very iffy.
    Long sequence of suffixes with 52s, ending with "E," some of them amounting to redesigns so complete, that at one point Winchester considered changing the model number itself.

Thank you all for the answers and info. Enough info provided to make me sort of confident I know what it is, better than sucking ones thumb.

Here's an interesting "side-bar" to your rifle, that I bet you never noticed . . . . .

For a very plain and simple rifle, it always amazed me that Winchester would put ENGRAVED screw heads on the butt-plate screws!

Look carefully . . . they are there (if original screws/plate is there). --Jim

I just took it out of the safe and in a darkened room I almost said no their not, however at this age I did a trust and verify and darned if they are not. Thank you for pointing that out.