Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

You're right. You don't necessarily save money by reloading. Most people I know reload for accuracy for particular guns that they own. A lot of people get enjoyment out of it and it's nice to have the ability to be able to produce your own ammo just in case. Primers and powder are good for a long time if stored properly.

Hobbies, as I've said before, are rarely cheap. Reloading allows me to experiment with different combinations of powder and bullets.

"...Vibratory or rotary?..." Six of this, half dozen of the other. Really makes no difference.
    "...with a toothpick..." Finishing nail or the like. Toothpick is too brittle.
    Spelling and grammar count!

Quote Originally Posted by Allen View Post
    A lot of people get enjoyment out of it and it's nice to have the ability to be able to produce your own ammo just in case. Primers and powder are good for a long time if stored properly.
    ("Just in case"). What's next for the 2nd amendment if the democrats win the White House and the Senate? More gun owners should learn the basics of reloading. All Obama had to do was say the words "gun control" and most gun shops around western PA had more customers that they could handle. Hillary may not be able to come after our guns if both houses remain GOP. Ammo availability might be a different story.

Merc
    Last edited by Merc; 07-19-2016 at 01:25. Reason: Autocorrect substituting strange words.

Quote Originally Posted by Sunray View Post
    "...Vibratory or rotary?..." Six of this, half dozen of the other. Really makes no difference.
    "...with a toothpick..." Finishing nail or the like. Toothpick is too brittle.
    Ran the first batch through the vibratory and a few through the rotary for a couple hours with plain dry nut shell medium. You're right, both seem about equal. Nothing stuck in the flash holes so this may not be a problem.

Merc

I have both. I use both. My reference to the rotary tumbler was for the SS pins and soapy water solution. Don't think the vib will work with that.

How would SS pins work on brass discolored by annealing?

Merc

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    How would SS pins work on brass discolored by annealing?

Merc
    SS pins will make them look like virgin brass
    Phillip McGregor (OFC)
    "I am neither a fire arms nor a ballistics expert, but I was a combat infantry officer in the Great War, and I absolutely know that the bullet from an infantry rifle has to be able to shoot through things." General Douglas MacArthur

Quote Originally Posted by Merc View Post
    Ran the first batch through the vibratory and a few through the rotary for a couple hours with plain dry nut shell medium. You're right, both seem about equal. Nothing stuck in the flash holes so this may not be a problem.

Merc
    But you did have to take time to look at each case to see if any medium entered a flash hole. When I used corncob media, out of about 120 shells tumbled, there was always three of four shells that had a grain of corncob in it.

Quote Originally Posted by tmark View Post
    But you did have to take time to look at each case to see if any medium entered a flash hole. When I used corncob media, out of about 120 shells tumbled, there was always three of four shells that had a grain of corncob in it.
    Yes, I did look at each one. The crushed nut shells are mostly uniform size and didn't seem to stick inside the flash hole. I'll pick up some SS pins later today and see how well they handle the discolored brass.

Merc