Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
  1. Default WTB Early All Original Carbine

I'm in the market for something I know I may never find, an early, all original, i.e. totally as issued and not restored, high condition M1 Carbine. Strongly prefer an Inland I cut stock version, but probably can be flexible on manufacturer. Looking for late '42 or early '43 if possible. Must have high wood, flip sight, first type front band, blued flat bolt; other early features like serrated mag release or checkered safety negotiable. Wood must be unsanded and have all period correct stamps clearly visible. Metal finish must be original and 95% or better; 98% or better strongly preferred. Cannot live with stake marks, scratches from front sight removal,barrel shadow, parkerizing that is all the same color (i.e. refinished) or new made parts.

Know it will cost, but the originality is worth it to me. If you think you have what I'm looking for please send pictures and price to rick.tubb@verizon.net.

Thanks in advance,

Rick

Hey Iron lip??
    I might have what yer looking for. Not sure??
    It is an early Inland.
    It is battle used but is in good condition, exactly how I got it from an auction years ago.
    After U bought it I was told the previous owner's uncle had brought or sent it back from the war??
    I know, I know, dont buy the story, cant be proved, but why tell me after??
    Anyway it does not have the I cut and should have.
    But I have been told that the stock may have been changed in theater??
    I remember that I took it all apart and it all checked out cept for the stock, which is a very early stock, but NOT I cut.
    I also remeber that there was black sand under the butt plate???
    Just telling ya what I remember.
    I think I have a data sheet that I used to make on all my guns when I was really into this stuff.
    If I do I'll get you the info if interested???
    I am just too sick as well as busy with crap to really enjoy this stuff anymore??
    Take care and hope you find what yer looking for.
    Regards
    Brad
    724-235-1140

Just checked a few notes I had here in my computer.
    The serial number is 121879 if that helps??
    Also, notes say it has original sling and oiler.
    Take care

4. Default

Brad, sorry to hear you are sick. I'm definitely interested. If you find the data sheet I would appreciate seeing a copy of you can scan it and email it to me. I'll call shortly.

Ironlip, a correct 1942 to early 43 one won't be cheap I hope you know that. A correct one in nice condition would run over $2,000. A correct 1942 one would be even more as they are hard to find. Ray

6. Default

Ray, totally agree with you that it won't come cheap. Thanks for the estimate. It's good to have input from those who know.

7. Default

Many thanks to Brad for the information about and the pictures of his early Inland. It's a good gun but not the one for me. Still looking for one as described in the initial post. Please email me with information, pictures and price to rick.tubb@verizon.net.

Thanks in advance,
    Rick

Quote Originally Posted by rayg View Post
    Ironlip, a correct 1942 to early 43 one won't be cheap I hope you know that. A correct one in nice condition would run over $2,000. A correct 1942 one would be even more as they are hard to find. Ray
    I agree and will add that correct will outnumber original unrestored 30:1. Carbines are a minefield
    Last edited by keith smart; 07-27-2016 at 01:28.

9. Default

Quote Originally Posted by keith smart View Post
    I agree and will add that correct will outnumber original unrestored 30:1. Carbines are a minefield
    Keith, totally agree. It would be a tough field in which to specialize. That's why I really just want one true early one and I lean toward the most common type. One of the experienced guys here pointed out to me in a PM that a particular dealer sure had a lot of rare and supposedly all correct carbines. We can assume many of those are the result of newly made parts. Not long ago I saw an early Inland with a blued, checkered safety that looked like it could have been made the week before. It probably was.

IF you find one in such condition as you are wanting it will probably be humped with numerous reproduction parts. Beware of certain sellers especially on-line sellers where you can not photo or see the rifle up close. I recently saw a well known "humper" on GB sell a beautiful Rock-Ola carbine with "all correct" parts and a gorgeous burl walnut stock "correct" with all new mint markings of course. If memory serves me right he got nearly $5,000 and someone got a very pretty fake carbine that will never be worth more than 1/5th of that price. I nearly bid on it myself knowing it wasn't right. It was just that nice. Most of these sellers are obvious because they have an unlimited number of new looking carbines and rare parts that's found nowhere else. Finding a real carbine that sat in an closet somewhere skipping WW11, Korea and Vietnam not to mention being sold or given away to a foreign country is going to be like finding an honest politician.
    Last edited by Allen; 07-27-2016 at 04:05.