1. Default Correct rear sight for a 1941 Marlin 39A?

A buddy just bought a '41 Marlin 39A with a Williams rear sight.

He'd like to put a stock rear sight back on it. What does the correct rear sight look like?

Thanks.

2. Default

I have one of them in front of me now, has a color case hardened receiver with the fat beavertail fore end and pistol grip so it should be 1940 or 41. Do you know how your friend was able to narrow his down to 1941? I've been unable to find a serial number list that does so. After the war, they blued the receivers and the color case hardening went away. The 39A came out in 1939 and in 1940 they went to the fat fore end and pistol grip. The rear sight is very familiar looking to what is used today. Once I get my camera battery charged up and figure out how to post a picture, I'll try to get something here. I can tell you that original parts are hard to come by and quite a few just aren't available. When your friend goes looking, he needs early 39A parts if he wants it "correct." If not, I'd just get the modern sight, they're not that different. I don't shoot mine anymore because of the parts issues. I bought a newer version and shoot that one.

3. Default

Here are the promised photos:

4. Default

Jim, thank you for the pics. That is a nice looking rifle.

The S/N on the rifle in question starts with a B and is a low number. He did some looking online on some Marlin forums and on the basis of the info he found on B prefix S/N's he figures his rifle is from 1941.
    Last edited by M1Garandy; 12-08-2016 at 05:17.

5. Default

Mine starts with a B, too. Guess I need to do a little more poking around. Thanks.