1. Default K98 Sporter Greifelt

Looking for information about a Mauser K98. Anyone ever see one like this out there?
    20160713_145610-1.jpgPhotoGrid_1468498293860.jpgPhotoGrid_1468504802929.jpg
    Last edited by Mastodon; 07-14-2016 at 02:09.

2. Default

Chambered in 22-250

The pedigree on German commercial rifles will be found in the markings on the underside of the barrel. You will probably have to take it out of the stock to see them all. I have the codes through 1945, and then the post WWII codes for East & West Germany. You know it was made by Greifelt & Co. , there should be code stampings for the year, proof house & round designation. The high grade engraving is typical of Greifelt products

Post war converted military rifle. Still has Nazi serial number style and fire proof. Probably made up for a GI stationed in Germany. Very nice, but a bit over done for my taste, not that it matters!
    You can never go home again.

Yup they were known as cigarette guns. Gunsmiths would make those for USGI's for cartons of cigarette's as they could then use the cigarette's as money for what ever they needed. There was no useable type of money in Germany at that time other then cigarette's or food. USGI's had plenty of both.

A cigarette gun chambered for 22-250? Wasn't the 22-250 wildcat prior to the 1960's?

Have a good friend retired Army Col. Owns a similar Mauser he had built up in the early 60's in West Germany. He still hunts it, treats it like the Mona Lisa.

When I was in college in San Antonio I worked part time for Elmer Ballance packing guns. He had one of these rifles done in West Germany, an O3A3 engraved nose to stern in a Manlicher stock with a receiver sight, probably a DCM gun a GI had "improved" - I thought it was the prettiest gun I had ever seen.
    Last edited by Griff Murphey; 08-01-2017 at 06:24.

Default cigarette rifle

Not always mausers. I bought a 03 Springfield based rifle some years back which I believe is a cigarette gun. Definately European style stock and sights. Probably some GI light fingered an 03 and had a German gunsmith modify it. From the serial no. it is based on a Remington 03. Pretty, but I never did much with it.

collage.jpg